Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nuclear Bomb Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first post I have seen that has digressed from nuclear bombs to ladies underwear...lol

Back on the subject of nukes: Remember, that czar detonation was in 2002. I really don't want to know what they have now. Yikes. Of course, they still can't find a good portion of their arsenal, which is kinda disturbing. It is interesting though, that all these nuclear holocaust prophecies are still floating around after we have had hundreds of nuclear blasts go off and with no effects other than localized radiation.

Hank Fletcher said:
One of what, a fat lady?

Speaking of which, Pavarotti past away today - may he R.I.P. I guess the fat lady finally sang for him.

Today? I thought he died yesterday? Unless New York Times is wrong yet again....

audioguru said:
The same girdle that stops fat American ladies from popping also stops astronauts from popping??
At least America has astronauts and spaceships. What does Canada have? Just what I thought... a robotic "space arm" for the Shuttle that often requires the astronauts to perform a spacewalk in the end! I seem to recall one mission where the thing was repaired on the spot using duct tape stored on board!!! Damn, well if it ain't Red Green to the rescue!

Hank- in a absolute, perfect vacuum, all particles of matter and energy are non-existent. Given that, there is no existence! A perfect vacuum would be theory only... a frame of mind. There is no place in the known universe that is a perfect vacuum, especially with the many forces at work amidst the far, far reaches of space's so called "vacuum". We haven't even breached the invisible energy and dark matter that occupies space.

Pavarotti might be a common Italian name so maybe a few of them die every day. Only one was the big opera singer.

Last edited:
Ambient said:
Today? I thought he died yesterday? Unless New York Times is wrong yet again....
My most sincere apologies. Sadly, Pavarotti left this world on September 6, 2007. I'd mixed up my facts - he was actually born this day (October 12) in 1935.

HiTech said:
What does Canada have? Just what I thought... a robotic "space arm" for the Shuttle that often requires the astronauts to perform a spacewalk in the end! I seem to recall one mission where the thing was repaired on the spot using duct tape stored on board!!!
I hope they've got that middle finger working,

There is no place in the known universe that is a perfect vacuum...
I won't bother trying to clean the house this weekend, then.

Ambient said:
This is the first post I have seen that has digressed from nuclear bombs to ladies underwear...lol

Back on the subject of nukes: Remember, that czar detonation was in 2002. I really don't want to know what they have now. Yikes. Of course, they still can't find a good portion of their arsenal, which is kinda disturbing. It is interesting though, that all these nuclear holocaust prophecies are still floating around after we have had hundreds of nuclear blasts go off and with no effects other than localized radiation.

2002?

I found this via google, says 1961....

"But was it the largest ever? No. That distinction goes to the "Tsar Bomba" ("King of Bombs") which the Soviet Union exploded over Novaya Zemlya in 1961 for a yield of 50 megatons. Khruschev got the weapon he wanted, but as the FAS site says, "a bomb this size is virtually useless militarily." Still. Ka-BOOM!

And this: https://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Russia/TsarBomba.html

Lefty

Last edited:
It is interesting though, that all these nuclear holocaust prophecies are still floating around after we have had hundreds of nuclear blasts go off and with no effects other than localized radiation.
Most of those blasts were done underground to prevent fallout and atmospheric shock waves. And as noted by Lefty above, the Tsar bomb was "hobbled" to prevent the full effect of fallout due to an air burst. We should never become complacent as far as nuclear weapons are concerned; it is a slippery slope.
Imagine what the human race could have accomplished if all the effort and money put into building bigger and bigger nukes during the cold war had been put into the space program. We'd have viable self sustaining colonies on the moon and mars by now.

HiTech said:
When there is no atmosphere all of the molecules in the area want to spread out as much as possible. So if you were on a space ship and stepped outside you would blow up like a huge balloon as your molecules began to spread out. Eventually you would pop.
Which is total rubbish!

The myth that people spontaneously explode has been proved false many years ago but has continiued to spread thanks to films and the Internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_adaptation_to_space#Unprotected_effects

Hero999 said:
Which is total rubbish!

The myth that people spontaneously explode has been proved false many years ago but has continiued to spread thanks to films and the Internet.

Isn't the most likely cause of death your blood 'boiling' due to the lack of pressure? - rather like a really bad case of the bends.

Certainly, as you say, bodies don't 'explode'.

I seem to recall that a human body could withstand a fair few seconds of vacuum, without serious damage?.

A person has a pretty big surface area. The internal 15 pounds per square inch will cause a lot of damage to all that surface area if a person stepped into a vacuum.

audioguru said:
A person has a pretty big surface area. The internal 15 pounds per square inch will cause a lot of damage to all that surface area if a person stepped into a vacuum.

People aren't full of air (alright, some are full of hot air!), the only place full of air is your lungs, and these simple empty through your mouth/nose. It's also possible your ear drums could burst, if your sinuses aren't nice and clear - but that's not life threatening.

Also people in spacecraft don't live at 15 pounds per square inch, it's considerably less - there's no need for anywhere near 15 pounds.

Admittedly some body damage is likely to occur, but it's far less than might be imagined - and can be prevented by simple bandages around the body.

Has anyone read the link to the article I posted?

The primary cause of death is asphyxiation, not the bends or blood boiling.

Humans can actually survive slightly more than a minute in a vacuum, this is without permanent damage.
nikolausc said:
Humans can actually survive slightly more than a minute in a vacuum, this is without permanent damage.
Correct as your brain can survive without oxygen for short periods without being damaged.

Although your blood won't boil.
Wikipedia said:
Liquids inside the body - including water - will not boil. At body temperature the vapour pressure of water is 47mm Hg,[3] or 1/16 of normal atmospheric pressure. Skin is a very strong substance well able to exert a much higher pressure on expanding body contents. Exposed liquids will boil (see the reference to saliva, below).

So back to the topic, when that huge Soviet bomb throws you up into outer space you will drool at your mouth as your saliva boils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back