Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WW2 atomic bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard several times over the years, that it is/was fission from Neutron collision that started the atomic chain reaction in Little Boy. They ram a Neutron(s) into an atom of Uranium, and the chain begins. Is that (in layman's terms) close to correct.?
How do they separate a Neutron from the Nucleus to begin with.?
Thank You

The U235 is naturally radioactive and it 'emits' particles including Neutrons as it decays, ie: changes to a different Element.

If the surface area of the U235 is less than the critical mass, the Neutrons are emitted into free space.

If the U235 mass is greater than the critical mass, the Neutrons cannot escape fast enough into free space and so cause a chain reaction within the mass.... bang!

OK...so it is dependent on the material itself being...radioactive, unstable, etc.
That is why the guys at Los Alamos were only Looking At/Working With with a couple of materials...I guess it was Uranium and Plutonium.?
Because those two materials behave in that manner.
Thanks

I believe that in nuclear bomb there is two pieces of uranium (or whatever). They shoot one piece into the other to reach critical mass.. and boom.

I believe that in nuclear bomb there is two pieces of uranium (or whatever). They shoot one piece into the other to reach critical mass.. and boom.
Please do not do this at home.
Electro-Tech-online.com is not responsible for improper use of U235.
Please ask your parents before starting such a project.

That works with uranium (with the proper mix of isotopes) as was done in Little Boy, but not with plutonium. Plutonium tends to fizzle (very low yield) under those conditions. Thus the plutonium Fat Man had a spherical array of explosives around it that, when exploded simultaneously, highly compressed the plutonium at the center for sufficient time to generate a good reaction.

That works with uranium (with the proper mix of isotopes) as was done in Little Boy, but not with plutonium. Plutonium tends to fizzle (very low yield) under those conditions. Thus the plutonium Fat Man had a spherical array of explosives around it that, when exploded simultaneously, highly compressed the plutonium at the center for sufficient time to generate a good reaction.
What a time that was...but anyway...that was my understanding. Fat Man was the device they needed "help" with.?
Implosion was a new concept at the time...at least for THAT application. I have read accounts from people that readied the bomb for trinity, and they said it all hinged on how well the tape kept the device together :).....Not sure it would even work, but I think most of them were pretty confident...but the success was unknown.
If memory serves, there was NO test for Little Man. It was dropped on Hiroshima with a Lick and a Promise.
I wonder if there is any kind of book/documentation that deals with Life After Los Alamos for many of those guys.?
A kind of "Where Are They Now" exppose'

Yeah.. I just watched 2 hour lecture "how nuclear bombs work" because of this thread. Quite interesting if you have nothing else to do. Those modern warheads are crazy.. creative.

Yeah.. I just watched 2 hour lecture "how nuclear bombs work" because of this thread. Quite interesting if you have nothing else to do.
Fun at work?

Yeah.. I just watched 2 hour lecture "how nuclear bombs work" because of this thread. Quite interesting if you have nothing else to do. Those modern warheads are crazy.. creative.
Hey.....thanks for the link. Just 5 minutes in, but it seems like a great watch.
Thanks Again.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back