Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WW2 Bat Bomb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree on both sides. It's true that regular munitions can be aimed and are typically supposed to not be used against civilians, but in WW2 that seemed to go right out the window (other wars too). Then again, you can't really aim a nuke at a military-only installation unless it's quite a distance from civilians. Not that they aimed away from civilians with the only two atomics ever used in warfare. But the bat bomb leaves the damage up to random chance.

I first read about the bat bombs in a comic book when I was a child. It was one of those "Amazing True Stories" kind of comic. IIRC there was a small writeup at the end about the short history of the bat bomb. Scared the bejeezus out of me--can you imagine the confusion if something like that was actually used? Planes would go over, and nothing would happen. Then, within the hour, houses and other structures would appear to simply burst into flame for no obvious reason. I was a little skeptical that they actually existed but it seems that the project did happen (I've heard various other things about it over the years too).

People's ingenuity never ceases to amaze me. Sometimes it leaves me with a silly grin for the rest of the day. Sometimes it makes me very, very sad and I think of **broken link removed**. (ummm. . .the easily offended may not want to read that article--fair warning.)

Torben

The main reason the bat bomb was abandoned was that incendiary bombing worked.

In WWII both Germany and Japan were fire bombed in the later stages of the war. In both cases is was seen as the most efficient way to end the war. I have not seen anything to say they were wrong.

In the case of Japan the fire bombs (fire storms) did significantly more damage then the nukes.

What I don't like about it is it goes after innocent civilian's houses.
In Germany most everyone was in the military or working in support of it. The Japanese were ready to fight to the last child. Where these innocents ?

I do not like war but at times there is no option.

The main reason the bat bomb was abandoned was that incendiary bombing worked.

In WWII both Germany and Japan were fire bombed in the later stages of the war. In both cases is was seen as the most efficient way to end the war. I have not seen anything to say they were wrong.

In the case of Japan the fire bombs (fire storms) did significantly more damage then the nukes.

In Germany most everyone was in the military or working in support of it. The Japanese were ready to fight to the last child. Where these innocents ?

I do not like war but at times there is no option.

Well if that's what you think then a few of those bats should have flown in our houses because FDR knew of the attack on Pear Harbor before hand as well as an inner circle of privileged elite. Why do you think all those planes were laying out there?

http://www.awakeandarise.org/article/PearlHarbor.htm

or research it yourself.

Most wars are started as a power grab by gov'ts of reciprocating countries. Stunning fact but the truth.

Do you think that there was even a remote possibility that the US could have stayed out of WWII ?

Even if the info in you cite is true, there is no justification in what you wrote! The Japanese attacked the US mainland with unguided balloon bombs. The intent was there, but they were not effective. The also invaded and held US islands in the Arctic. They had aircraft carrying subs designed to attack the Panama Canal.

The airplanes were parked close together so they could more easily be guarded against sabotage.

Maybe FDR did know some of these things and I am not saying one way or the other. He needed to convince the US people to join the war while it could still be won.

Revision history can be interesting reading but do not buy into the conclusions.

3v0
PS: we actualy did land a man on the moon!

Well if that's what you think then a few of those bats should have flown in our houses because FDR knew of the attack on Pear Harbor before hand as well as an inner circle of privileged elite. Why do you think all those planes were laying out there?

http://www.awakeandarise.org/article/PearlHarbor.htm

or research it yourself.

Most wars are started as a power grab by gov'ts of reciprocating countries. Stunning fact but the truth.

I suggested you do more research. I don't know what else I can say.

Wait. There is more I can say. The gulf of Tonkin was a staged event which got us into the Viet Nam war.

Last edited:
I will not let you get by with changing and expanding the subject.

My gripe is that you said.

a few of those bats should have flown in our houses

There is no way you can justify that SV.

Wait. There is more I can say. The gulf of Tonkin was a staged event which got us into the Viet Nam war.

So you want a specific explanation to that statement? Here is my analogy. If it presumably unavoidable to what I feel is targeting civilians and us being involved in the attack due to prior knowledge, it is only fair that US citizens should have had some bats in their attics in all fairness. Now this is according to your own logic.

So you want a specific explanation to that statement? Here is my analogy. If it presumably unavoidable to what I feel is targeting civilians and us being involved in the attack due to prior knowledge, it is only fair that US citizens should have had some bats in their attics in all fairness. Now this is according to your own logic.

Its unfortunate that some of our brave American allied service men who died defending ours and your's rights
to liberty and freedom are not here to put you right.
WW2 for the Brits it was a fight for survival, for the German nazi party it was one of conquest and domination.

I recall the 6 million Jewish people who were murdered were just civilians.

People who keep coming up with conspiracy theories are only interested in making money from their books and publications.
You don't really think they give a damn about the welfare and esteem of their country.

Last edited:
You are saying because the US targeted civilians during WWII we should have burned our own home?

The regular aircraft factories hand been blasted to rubble but FW190 producton was on the rise. This is because parts for the 190 were produced by small shops all over Germany.

Germany had a working wood prototype inspired by the British Mosquito. The Focke-Wulf Ta 154 Moskito was about to go into mass production when the only factory making glue (Tego-Film) was distroyed in a area bombing.

These are the first two examples that come to mind. At the time bombing "civilian targets" was the right thing to do.

War was never declared from either side, so actually it wasn't a war.

Genau das dachte ich auch!

Anyway, must be a groovy feeling with burning phosphorus on the skin, even diving into water. I wouldn't enjoy it though.

A good lecture would be the story of "Bomber Harris".

Last edited:
Its unfortunate that some of our brave American allied service men who died defending ours and your's rights
to liberty and freedom are not here to put you right.
WW2 for the Brits it was a fight for survival, for the German nazi party it was one of conquest and domination.

I recall the 6 million Jewish people who were murdered were just civilians.

People who keep coming up with conspiracy theories are only interested in making money from their books and publications.
You don't really think they give a damn about the welfare and esteem of their country.

So I guess all the GI Joe's of WWII were part of the the inner circle. The privileged elite? Hitler was put there on purpose by the British as part of their dominating world empire. Just as they have always been.
Statements like that are shear close mindedness. You will never be a part of the inner circle and therefore what makes sense to you today because it is what you are told, will be unveiled tomorrow by them who do the research and dig deep. So just because you hear it on Fox news who is owned by the elite, doesn't mean that Rockefeller what's you to know exactly what he is doing next.
I would imagine that you are not too keen on the word of God either. But the Holy bible has essentially told us of these things and that Satan owns this world and it is ruled by dark forces. It also says that there is nothing hidden that shall not be revealed. We are living in that age thanks to the internet and a few other sources.
The thing to do is to remain humble and understand that you do not know everything and sit back and enjoy the ride though it will get a bit bumpy from time to time. Just soak it in and don't use prejudices like "conspiracy theory". Speaking of which. Conspiracies are very real and have been around since before man. Satan caused one third of the angels to conspire against God. They kept it secret like they do on earth. Why don't you Google JFK's speech on "Secret Societies". It will amaze you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back