Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NAL,PAL, TV Standards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NTSC TV manufacturers made an "automatic" hue system: The sky was skin colour. The grass was also skin colour. Horrible colours.

You're a crusty ornery old codger sometimes, aren't you audioguru? NTSC was not as bad as you make it out to be, nor is the phrase "Never Twice the Same Color" applicable, ever since I heard it from a Dutch tourist in 1968. What would he know? They don't use NTSC.

But the Russians and any producers of SECAM programming did use NTSC at the source. They had to use NTSC in the studio in order to do special effects because you can't fade or mix composite SECAM signals. The SECAM chroma subcarriers are FM. When they finished production they converted the NTSC to SECAM signals for their oppressed masses.

I'm still using analog off cable on a Sony 4:3 CRT. I'm going to skip buying a digital ATSC TV and wait for 3DTV. All I need is a pair of polarized glasses. There will still be junk for programming but it'll be 3D junk programming! Hopefully, the screen won't be a 25:9 mail slot.

Last edited:
A broadcast engineer, jokingly metnioned what each acronym meant.

NTSC has already been mentioned.

PAL (pay added luxury), as the receivers were more complex,

and SECAM (system essentially contrary to american method) is really hilarious and absolutely true.

The colours on my Sony CRT TV are fine even though they are broadcasted as NTSC.
I have a cheap little NTSC CRT colour TV and its colours are also fine.

My son and daughter have LCD NTSC TVs and their colours are also fine.

SECAM was used in the Soviet union. The Russian population had no control over color level or hue. Only high party officials could control television.

Bob:D

Secam was also used in France and it's colonies.

The NTSC was based upon the 60 Hz frequencie as well compared with PAL which was designed for 50 Hz freq.

Secam was also used in France and it's colonies.

The French invented SECAM, the Eastern European countries copied it from them.

The NTSC was based upon the 60 Hz frequencie as well compared with PAL which was designed for 50 Hz freq.

Makes no difference, you can use either at 50Hz or 60Hz - PAL (invented by Telefunken in Germany) was just a 'mended' version of NTSC. By using a chroma delay line they could cancel out the phase errors that caused it to be called 'never twice the same colour'. A few years more technology, and building on the work that went before - learn from the experience of others.

Thanks Nigel for that extra info

We learn every day something new.

Cheers

Raymond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back