Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any way to watch tv on Smart Tv without a cable box?

We subscribe to Verizon FIOS for Cable and Internet. We have three Verizon boxes for the rooms with a tv. I just bought each of my kids a Samsung Smart TV for their bedrooms but they are upstairs and have no cable wire going to their rooms. The way this house is built (split

level), there is no way to get a cable wire to their rooms without opening up a major wall. Shouldn’t I be able to watch FIOS Cable on these TVs somehow? We can watch it on all of our phones and iPads using the FIOS app. I thought there would be a way to get that app on the new

Samsung TV but I cannot figure it out. I have no interest in paying for any additional services such as Netflix. We watch very little tv and have no interest in any of their series. i have Amazon Prime but they can’t watch shows like Sponge Bob for free. The only thing I can think

of is getting our iPads to mirror to the tv. Any ideas?

The required apps for newer services / versions of services have simply not been released for older "Smart" TVs.

Except that isn't really the point - there was nothing wrong with the original 'apps' - it was simply that YouTube (and others) cancelled the services they used, rendering them unable to receive the later services, used by newer TV's. Interesting that quote specifically mentions 'versions of services'.

You can't get an updated app for a number of reasons:

1) Often the sets weren't able to add extra apps, and each set needed it's own different app.

2) The newer services requires much greater processing power, memory space, etc. The discontinued services were specifically designed to work with much less power required in the TV.

3) Who's going to pay for recreating a team to write a new app?, and recreating all the long discontinued tools required to do that. Particularly bearing in mind the hardware might not even be capable of supporting the new service, there have been countless examples over the years where items have been rendered obsolete because the lack of memory etc. means it can't continue to work with new changes.

Generally manufacturers don't have a team of software engineers sat about drinking coffee waiting for something to do, they assemble a team for a specific job, then let them go once that contract is finished.

Except that isn't really the point - there was nothing wrong with the original 'apps' - it was simply that YouTube (and others) cancelled the services they used, rendering them unable to receive the later services, used by newer TV's. Interesting that quote specifically mentions 'versions of services'.

You can't get an updated app for a number of reasons:

1) Often the sets weren't able to add extra apps, and each set needed it's own different app.

2) The newer services requires much greater processing power, memory space, etc. The discontinued services were specifically designed to work with much less power required in the TV.

3) Who's going to pay for recreating a team to write a new app?, and recreating all the long discontinued tools required to do that. Particularly bearing in mind the hardware might not even be capable of supporting the new service, there have been countless examples over the years where items have been rendered obsolete because the lack of memory etc. means it can't continue to work with new changes.

Generally manufacturers don't have a team of software engineers sat about drinking coffee waiting for something to do, they assemble a team for a specific job, then let them go once that contract is finished.
If you read the OP's original question, you'll see that he said...
I just bought each of my kids a Samsung Smart TV for their bedrooms
so, how are you not trolling by bringing up old stories about old, expired apps and non-Samsung brands and even expertise related to CRT TVs?

You're new here, so perhaps you deserve a little slack, but Nigel is a very respected member of this forum as well as being one of its moderators.
He is definitely not a troll.
Are you?
Anyone, including a moderator, can easily decide to ignore the original post and answer a question they want to imagine instead of focus on the OPs actual question - about FIOS Serviice and new Samsung Smart TVs.

don't seem capable of understanding that not all TV's are identical to your new one?. Older TV's bore no resemblance to newer ones.
It's a Brand New TV.
checking on Sony support all it shows now is what Sony sets are currently supported,
It's not a Sony.
YouTube announced the closures, as did the TV manufacturers, and thousands of TV's and SetTop boxes stopped receiving YouTube any more.
It's a brand new Tv
immediately killing off huge numbers of older 'smart' TV's.
It's a brand new TV, not an issue

Anyone, including a moderator, can easily decide to ignore the original post and answer a question they want to imagine instead of focus on the OPs actual question - about FIOS Serviice and new Samsung Smart TVs.
Jesus - what is your problem? - I simply said "better to buy a Firestick rather than a TV which the broadcaster may disable in the future", a prefectly true fact, and relevant to the thread, the only one trolling here is you who has massively extended the length of this thread.

Jesus - what is your problem? - I simply said "better to buy a Firestick rather than a TV which the broadcaster may disable in the future", a prefectly true fact, and relevant to the thread, the only one trolling here is you who has massively extended the length of this thread.
That is not what you "simply said". If that is all you simply said, I - and several others - would not have had to call you out about YouTube claims and Sony TVs and old CRT TVs and what ever else I left out.

If your current advice and justification is simply a FireStick, and that's all, then I'm done. Thanks for withdrawing your other claims with your new, "simply said" revision.

Darn, you're still here. :eek:

This answer is for Nigel and rjenkinsgb, I don't use any app to get Youtube on my TV(Samsung) The cable company carries it as a available channel. So unless I'm wrong(quite possible) an App on my TV has nothing to do with it. My cable is an internet carrier and the shows come from the WIFI connection. The only difference between the TV and my computer Youtube is I can't read the comments or make one.

I don't use any app to get Youtube on my TV(Samsung) The cable company carries it as a available channel. So unless I'm wrong(quite possible) an App on my TV has nothing to do with it. My cable is an internet carrier and the shows come from the WIFI connection.
I believe what you think is an "available channel" on cable, is just an app that was pre-installed on your Samsung TV to connect to Youtube over the internet (unless you have a cable television subscription and it appears as a channel as part of the other available channels).
For example, I recently cut my satellite cord and went to Youtube TV on my Samsung Smart TV as a satellite TV replacement (and am thus saving about $80/month).
Although my TV already had Youtube, I had to go to the TV app store and download the app for Youtube TV on my Samsung before I could connect, as the two apps are different.
Now I have separate app icons for either Youtube or Youtube TV, to select which one I want to watch (which confused me a couple times at the start).

Last edited:
So, then I'll assume this site is ok with adding unnecessary factoids that don't help anyone -
Absolutely.
We're generally not that pedantic here.
just so people with a compulsion to post on every thread can keep their streak going.
Don't think it's a "compulsion", and I know of no streaks being done.
Somethings facts loosely related to a subject are posted as being of interest, even if they aren't absolutely needed to answer the poster's original question.
Thanks for the non-answer answer to my question
Anytime.

Last edited:
I believe what you think is an "available channel" on cable, is just an app that was pre-installed on your Samsung TV to connect to Youtube over the internet (unless you have a cable television subscription and it appears as a channel as part of the other available channels).

I don't use even one of the preinstalled TV apps. Youtube is an available "channel" from my cable supplier, Armstrong. My kids also get it from their cable supplier, Spectrum. And they don't even have smart TVs or use Firesticks or any of the other plug in things.

I don't use even one of the preinstalled TV apps.
So you and you kids have subscriptions to cable TV and get Youtube through that(?).
But you also stated it comes over the WiFi connection, so I'm confused.
Do you get cable TV over WiFi?

Yes our house use two different cable systems for our phones(land line), TV internet and everything comes into and out of the house on DSL lines. Only one DSL box the rest comes from it as WIFI signals. The TV does have a small, about the size of a cigarette pack, with a HDMI to the TV.

I changed to this because ATT kept raising the rates along with Directv, owned by ATT.

We subscribe to Verizon FIOS for Cable and Internet. We have three Verizon boxes for the rooms with a tv. I just bought each of my kids a Samsung Smart TV for their bedrooms but they are upstairs and have no cable wire going to their rooms. The way this house is built (split

level), there is no way to get a cable wire to their rooms without opening up a major wall. Shouldn’t I be able to watch FIOS Cable on these TVs somehow? We can watch it on all of our phones and iPads using the FIOS app. I thought there would be a way to get that app on the new

Samsung TV but I cannot figure it out. I have no interest in paying for any additional services such as Netflix. We watch very little tv and have no interest in any of their series. i have Amazon Prime but they can’t watch shows like Sponge Bob for free. The only thing I can think

of is getting our iPads to mirror to the tv. Any ideas?

1. If samsung TV runs on Android check if you can install applicaiton.

2. If you connecting Verizon FIOS box to tv using data/ethernet , can create wireless bridge using two wifi routers, each router will connect physically using RJ45 to Verizon FIOS and TV, both wifi routes are bridged to form wireless network.
You can check online on how to bridge two wifi routers. Some Wifi repeater/ Range extenders has this functionality.

Okay, here's in summary what I know about FIOS TV regarding the TS's request.

Samsung apparently does not support the FIOS App so that's a dead-end.

I did find that the Amazon Fire TV Stick does support the Verizon FIOS app (I verified that it is listed on my Firestick) so that should be a relatively inexpensive way to view FIOS from WiFi on any TV, Smart or otherwise, as long as it has an HDMI input (likely any built after about 2008).
That App should work basically the same as how the TS views it now on his phone or iPad.

It's presently available here for $20 with the discount code.

Edit: I just read that you can rent a FIOS wireless (WiFi) TV box to use with any additional TVs for $12/mo from Verizon, but don't know if that has any advantage over just using a streaming device such as the TV Stick, with its one-time cost.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Back