Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question regarding TV set audio output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

avz

Maybe my question is not exactly for what is the forum about but I'll take my chance. the question is about a domestic tv set. of course it's a Chinese label product. I need to have an audio output. of course it has a 3.5mm earphone socket but as you know, if I insert the 3.5mm plug into it, it mutes the internal set's loudspeaker and I want that the loudspeaker will keep playing while the plug is inserted. is there a possibility to withdraw the audio from the HDMI port on the tv set? is there any other idea/possibility to do it? I would like to mention that it has an optical port as well.

Last edited:
The mute is done by mechanical switches in the jack. Of course, you might not want to do this but if you remove the rear cover, you can join the terminals to prevent this.

As I have shown in black.

1681827105124.png

Maybe my question is not exactly for what is the forum about but I'll take my chance. the question is about a domestic tv set. of course it's a Chinese label product. I need to have an audio output. of course it has a 3.5mm earphone socket but as you know, if I insert the 3.5mm plug into it, it mutes the internal set's loudspeaker and I want that the loudspeaker will keep playing while the plug is inserted. is there a possibility to withdraw the audio from the HDMI port on the tv set? is there any other idea/possibility to do it? I would like to mention that it has an optical port as well.

You can buy devices to extract audio from an optical output, and even from HDMI - but only if it's an HDMI-ARC port, most modern TV's should have one that's specifically labelled ARC, if nit then there's no audio output (HDMI on a TV is obviously input only).

Easiest way is to simply stop the earphone socket muting the sound - but (depending on how it's done) this may not be possible. I've converted many sets over the years, but many modern sets do it in a completely different way (the switch on the socket sends a signal to the microcontroller, which then disables the speaker, and enables the headphone socket), and so it can't be done.

If you don't want to try modding it, then buy an optical to audio converter, freely available on Amazon etc.

The mute is done by mechanical switches in the jack. Of course, you might not want to do this but if you remove the rear cover, you can join the terminals to prevent this.

View attachment 141203

As I've just mentioned (at the same time as you were typing) that's how it used to be done, in later sets it was often not done that way.

You can buy devices to extract audio from an optical output, and even from HDMI - but only if it's an HDMI-ARC port, most modern TV's should have one that's specifically labelled ARC, if nit then there's no audio output (HDMI on a TV is obviously input only).

The tv has a HDMI-ARC port but if this option is chosen - will it enable the internal speaker to keep on playing?

View attachment 141203
Thanks, but I don't wish to make such an change unless there are no other options.

Another way to have a headphone feed and an open speaker at the same time is to use a 3.5mm splitter to feed the headphone and an external speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back