Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any way to watch tv on Smart Tv without a cable box?

We subscribe to Verizon FIOS for Cable and Internet. We have three Verizon boxes for the rooms with a tv. I just bought each of my kids a Samsung Smart TV for their bedrooms but they are upstairs and have no cable wire going to their rooms. The way this house is built (split

level), there is no way to get a cable wire to their rooms without opening up a major wall. Shouldn’t I be able to watch FIOS Cable on these TVs somehow? We can watch it on all of our phones and iPads using the FIOS app. I thought there would be a way to get that app on the new

Samsung TV but I cannot figure it out. I have no interest in paying for any additional services such as Netflix. We watch very little tv and have no interest in any of their series. i have Amazon Prime but they can’t watch shows like Sponge Bob for free. The only thing I can think

of is getting our iPads to mirror to the tv. Any ideas?

I've no idea, I've never used it, nor known anyone who has - but presumably if there are too few users of a particular service then they would close that service to save money, just as they did for the normal YouTube services.

That may be so in the UK, but it's not in the US. Every time I no to the online Youtube they have a flash ad asking me to join Youtube TV. but my cable company and my Samsung both offer it for free.

Youtube TV is one of the larger steaming services in the US so it's not likely going away anytime soon, and I've seen nothing about Youtube cutting back here either (I have Youtube TV myself as I've recently cut the expensive DirecTV satellite cord).
I presume both are here available on any reasonably new smart TV.

Youtube TV is one of the larger steaming services in the US so it's not likely going away anytime soon, and I've seen nothing about Youtube cutting back here either (I have Youtube TV myself as I've recently cut the expensive DirecTV satellite cord).
I presume both are here available on any reasonably new smart TV.

I think you're all getting the wrong idea? - if you weren't using a YouTube service that they discontinued, then you wouldn't notice that it had gone. As for YouTube TV, I doubt that's a single service either?, there are probably multiple versions, and it's possible that some 'could' be discontinued in the future, just as YouTube itself discontinued a lot of it's versions.

Not really true - YouTube closed many of their services (as did the BBC, and numerous other service providers), immediately killing off huge numbers of older 'smart' TV's.

If in doubt, get Firestick, it's smarter than any so-called 'smart' TV - and likely to be supported for far longer.
He said he has a Samsung TV - YouTube, Netflix, Roku and other common services still work fine on even the earliest of .Samsung TVs. I never heard of Samsung shutting anything down/disabling apps except the few that have gone bankrupt and their own streaming app. If you're having trouble, try doing the over-the-air update of the apps you have installed.

He said he has a Samsung TV - YouTube, Netflix, Roku and other common services still work fine on even the earliest of .Samsung TVs. I never heard of Samsung shutting anything down/disabling apps except the few that have gone bankrupt and their own streaming app. If you're having trouble, try doing the over-the-air update of the apps you have installed.

You're not reading what I wrote - the manufacturers didn't shut things down (at least in this case), the broadcasters closed some of the services that the sets used - and YouTube was one of the main offenders. There were never any updated apps, as the sets most likely weren't capable of using other than the service they were designed for, and the manufacturers weren't interested in spending large sums of money having a new app written, for no gain whatsoever.

I've no specific details on Samsung, but if early Samsung smart TV's used one of the discontinued services then they WOULD have ceased working - you can't use a service that no longer exists.

You're not reading what I wrote - the manufacturers didn't shut things down (at least in this case), the broadcasters closed some of the services that the sets used - and YouTube was one of the main offenders. There were never any updated apps, as the sets most likely weren't capable of using other than the service they were designed for, and the manufacturers weren't interested in spending large sums of money having a new app written, for no gain whatsoever.

I've no specific details on Samsung, but if early Samsung smart TV's used one of the discontinued services then they WOULD have ceased working - you can't use a service that no longer exists.
So you're saying your ISP is blocking them? Or YouTube is no longer supporting them? Or Samsung is no longer
there are no links and no specific examples?

And why are you bringing up this topic if you have, as you said, no information on Samsung. This thread is about Samsung smart TVs. Samsung Smart TVs have an App Store that allows the user to download new or updated apps.

So you're saying your ISP is blocking them? Or YouTube is no longer supporting them? Or Samsung is no longer
there are no links and no specific examples?

No, I've never made any suggestion that ISP's, or anyone else, is blocking anything - as I've said all along, YouTube closed many services down, they no longer exist.

It's too long ago, and I no longer have authorisation to access manufacturers service support - although it's probably no longer present anyway?. Both YouTube and iPlayer (and others) did provide lists of all the many makes and models affected on their service websites, and this list changed over a number of years, as they shut more and more services down, it wasn't a 'one time' thing.

And why are you bringing up this topic if you have, as you said, no information on Samsung. This thread is about Samsung smart TVs. Samsung Smart TVs have an App Store that allows the user to download new or updated apps.

I've no specific information on Samsung, but the YouTube closures affected huge numbers of manufacturers - I've no reason to imagine Samsung were exempt for some reason?.

Your 'app store' is pretty pointless, as it didn't exist back when the sets affected by the closures were manufactured.

But as I've said all along (and the point of my post), don't rely on so-called 'smart' TV's - if you want smart features, just buy a Firestick, it will do a lot more, and have a much better chance of the broadcasters not cancelling the services it uses.

I'd 'like' to think that they won't close any more services?, but we thought that after the first round of closures, and thought it again after the second round of closures, and thought it yet again after the third round of closures - although to be fair, I don't seem to recall a fourth round of closures? (yet!).

But as I've said all along (and the point of my post), don't rely on so-called 'smart' TV's - if you want smart features, just buy a Firestick, it will do a lot more, and have a much better chance of the broadcasters not cancelling the services it uses.

So I might be wrong , but your saying the Firestick can get Youtube on a TV but the TV its self can't?

So I might be wrong , but your saying the Firestick can get Youtube on a TV but the TV its self can't?

Yes, IF the TV is one that used a service that YouTube discontinued - by using a Firestick you can convert any HDMI TV to a much 'smarter' set than any you can buy, even non-smart sets. If the TV is a later model that uses a service that YouTube still provide, then the TV will still get YouTube on it's own as well.

I've got an old Sony 32" LCD TV (predates any smart TV's) wall mounted in my bedroom, and when I bought a new Firestick (Black Friday, and simply because the new one has TV volume buttons on the remote :D ) for my main set downstairs, I took the old Firestick and put it on the bedroom TV - now it's 'smart' :D

My main TV is a Sony Android set, so probably as 'smart' as most TV's you can buy, but it's still not a patch on a Firestick, I never use the TV's smart features.

Yes, IF the TV is one that used a service that YouTube discontinued - by using a Firestick you can convert any HDMI TV to a much 'smarter' set than any you can buy, even non-smart sets. If the TV is a later model that uses a service that YouTube still provide, then the TV will still get YouTube on it's own as well.

I've got an old Sony 32" LCD TV (predates any smart TV's) wall mounted in my bedroom, and when I bought a new Firestick (Black Friday, and simply because the new one has TV volume buttons on the remote :D ) for my main set downstairs, I took the old Firestick and put it on the bedroom TV - now it's 'smart' :D

My main TV is a Sony Android set, so probably as 'smart' as most TV's you can buy, but it's still not a patch on a Firestick, I never use the TV's smart features.
Your story makes no sense to me and does not align with any of my experiences. Nor can your story be confirmed by any evidence online. I guess, I'll assume it is fantasy or a compulsive urge to post on a thread where you have no experience with Samsung Smart TVs and ability to add value to the conversation - I believe it is called Trolling.

Your story makes no sense to me and does not align with any of my experiences. Nor can your story be confirmed by any evidence online. I guess, I'll assume it is fantasy or a compulsive urge to post on a thread where you have no experience with Samsung Smart TVs and ability to add value to the conversation - I believe it is called Trolling.

I think the only troll here is you, you're obviously not involved in the TV trade, as I was for 46 years, and you don't seem capable of understanding that not all TV's are identical to your new one?. Older TV's bore no resemblance to newer ones.

I don't know why you expect historical support to still be on-line years after it became old news?, checking on Sony support all it shows now is what Sony sets are currently supported, and no longer those that are losing services (as there's no point as it was lost long ago).

I believe it is called Trolling.
You're new here, so perhaps you deserve a little slack, but Nigel is a very respected member of this forum as well as being one of its moderators.
He is definitely not a troll.
Are you?

Last edited:
Yes, a Firestick generally provides all the capabilities of any Smart TV, even for the old Dumb TV's (unless they are too old to have an HDMI input).
I have a couple of those myself, and they work quite well.

I don't know why you expect historical support to still be on-line years after it became old news?,

What I don't understand is why there is no record of Youtube its self deleting any services. Surely there should be some type of record to back your claims that they don't offer Youtube TV in the UK.

I think that's what ZipZapOuch was talking about not something Sony did.

What I don't understand is why there is no record of Youtube its self deleting any services. Surely there should be some type of record to back your claims that they don't offer Youtube TV in the UK.

I've NEVER made any such claim - all I've said is that many broadcasters, YouTube among them, cancelled large numbers of their services, stopping them working on large numbers of affected smart TV's. Which is why I advise that you're FAR better off using a Firestick, which is much 'smarter' anyway, than what could be a relatively short lived service on a smart TV. The closures probably predated YouTube TV anyway?.

As for 'records', where I've looked the 'news' has been replaced with later news - when news is driven by databases it's only there so long, before it's replaced with more modern news - when it's old, it's not news anymore.

The required apps for newer services / versions of services have simply not been released for older "Smart" TVs.

Example:
Can I get YouTube TV on my older Samsung Smart TV?

If your Samsung smart TV was released before 2016 and does not support YouTube TV, consider using a streaming stick. Streaming sticks plug into your TV's HDMI port (or an HDMI adapter, if your unit's HDMI port is broken). They display a smart interface with countless streaming apps, including YouTube TV.

(From this site:
https://pointerclicker.com/youtube-...2016 and,streaming apps, including YouTube TV. )

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back