Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is cable TV wire good for anything other than cable TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was 50 Ohms. I used to use the same RG58 cable for that and for RF connections.
It's a VERY long time since I've seen any :D

I obviously had the terminating 'resistors', which had the value printed on them, but where on earth they might be now I've no idea :D

Funnily enough, every network card you bought came with a 'T' connector, so you never had to buy those.

There are a goodly number of different sized F-connectors, you need to buy the correct ones for the cable you have - the right size ones are probably better than crimp-on ones (which also come in different sizes as well).

The Dollar Store only had the one size.

Maybe Poundland has better
Well you'd be paying more anyway :D

However, as we use Belling Lee coaxial plugs in the UK/Europe, then you're unlikely to find F-Connectors in a Pound shop (they are only used for satellite over here). Having said that, I doubt you'd find coaxial plugs in a Pound shop either?.

You should buy your electrical/electronic items for proper shops, not glorified junk shops.

In addition to getting the right size connector for the cable, you also should choose a weatherproof version if you want reliable operation outdoors.

The simple screw on, or even crimp types don't prevent water from getting into the cable end.

Here is one for RG-6. https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-VDV812-623-Compression-Connectors/dp/B008C7ZCI8?th=1
Or even better, just apply self-amalgamating tape over the plug - standard procedure for outdoor connections.

Far better, far cheaper :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back