Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My low voltage lighting system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinnyBoy

which doens't exist yet, but is a work in progress that is pretty well worked out, and I have ordered parts that should be here soon...

Now, I've always loved halogen downlights, so, I've decided to install a system in my room, with 4 lights, suspended by horizintal wires, than run from one wall to the other. fair enough?

but, the twist, is they are going to be remote controlled, by a small keyfob remote. Each light will be able to be turned on seperatly, and the lights can be positioned along the horizontal wires as I desire...

**broken link removed**

thats the remote kit I intend using, and I am yet to decide on the powersupply...

any suggestions people may have? or ideas?

thanx..

I guess..

I'll post pics if anyone is interested

LATER!!

You can get kits that include the fitings and the powersuply.

If not then post the ratings of your bulbs.

The powersuply has to suply the bulbs voltage and it must be able to suply more than the bulbs total curent draw.

Someone Electro said:
You can get kits that include the fitings and the powersuply.

If not then post the ratings of your bulbs.

The powersuply has to suply the bulbs voltage and it must be able to suply more than the bulbs total curent draw.

I am aware of that...

the kits I've seen are for 5 20watt globes, and have a 105watt transformer, while I was intending on using 4 50watt globes, so need a powersupply capable of 200+ watts...

I was wondering if a 250VA 9volt transformer would be suitable. after rectification to give 13ish volts...

You dont need to give it DC,You can drive it whith AC.Light bulbs dont care is its AC or DC.

So just give it AC and you will save a cuple of componnets.

If its and 50W bulb then 50/12 = 4,1 A

So you need an transformer that suplys about 20 A at 12V.Thats prety big.The bigest one i have puts out 20V at 10A and one 15V at 13A

Dont think an simple wall wart will do it.

There are car batery chargers that can probobly put out such powers.

Low voltage lighting system

er...ahh... SkinnyBoy: Hold off on buying that remote control if you intend to hang your 4 lamps on the same two wires. You are not going to be able to control each lamp individually with a 4 relay controller unless each lamp has its own pair of wires. And It would seem that 4 wire pairs strung across the room (8 wires), which would permit you to control each lamp individually, would make your room look like an electrical distribution center - kind of changing the mood unless your girlfriend is an electrical engineer.

Check the current rating of the relays on the controller board and be aware that a tungsten-halogen lamp is nearly a short circuit at the instant of turn-on and draws much more for a few milliseconds than the current implied by the power rating. That is why wall toggle switches are UL listed for incandescent lighting ("INC. LIST." stamped on each wall switch meaning they are tested for life expectancy turning on incandescent lighting). Consider measuring the resistance of the cold lamp to get an idea of the initial current surge.\

This potential problem for your relays may be mitigated if your power supply is "soft," that is, will not be able to sustain its nominal output voltage during lamp warm up, thus self-limiting inrush current. You might benefit from measuring the instantanous inrush current when the lamp is first turned on to be sure your relays will not die an early death.

Have fun.

awright

I have a 9volt, 250VA transformer... hence the question about rectifying it...

yes, I was intending to have 4 pairs of wires...

why does everyone treat me like an idiot?

is it to make yourselves feel better?

SkinnyBoy said:

I suspect it's because you phrased your question poorly, as you didn't specify using seperate wires it gave the impression you weren't doing so. I certainly had that impression!.

So fairly obviously people responded accordingly, they can only answer based on the information YOU provide - if you don't provide complete information you can't expect accurate answers.

Nigel Goodwin said:
SkinnyBoy said:

I suspect it's because you phrased your question poorly, as you didn't specify using seperate wires it gave the impression you weren't doing so. I certainly had that impression!.

So fairly obviously people responded accordingly, they can only answer based on the information YOU provide - if you don't provide complete information you can't expect accurate answers.

well I'm sorry you aren't smart enough to work it out yourself...

I didn't realise I had to specify 4 pairs of wires for 4 globes... do I also need to specify its going to be plugged into a power point? =\ and that the wires connect to things? =\

SkinnyBoy said:
Nigel Goodwin said:
SkinnyBoy said:

I didn't realise I had to specify 4 pairs of wires for 4 globes... do I also need to specify its going to be plugged into a power point? =\ and that the wires connect to things? =\

In what way do you think insulting people you're asking for help is going to help you?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
In what way do you think insulting people you're asking for help is going to help you?.

I never insulted anyone... I can treat you like an idiot just like I'm being treated like an idiot... if thats what you want...

SkinnyBoy said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

I never insulted anyone... I can treat you like an idiot just like I'm being treated like an idiot... if thats what you want...

It'll be interesting to see how many replies you get now?.

Personally I consider

insulting?, particularly as I was offering you help, and answering a direct question!.

I would suggest you try reading other threads, where you will see that you can't take anything for granted, so it's important to be specific.

It's also probably NOT a good idea to insult a moderator, who has the power to lock, edit, or completely delete your posts!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
SkinnyBoy said:

As far as I can see, nobody is trying to treat anyone like an idiot.
While your scheme is obvious to you, because you thought of it, if you do not communicate ALL of the idea to someone else they will tend to fill in the gaps in their mental picture of your scheme with things they have seen from their own experience.
And the result is confusion, just as we have here.
When the scheme is explained fully, end of confusion.

JimB

There are rules on abusing members:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No abuse or slang to be used!
Please be friendly toward any other member of this forum. We do not tolerate any type of abuse or bad language on the board so please refrain from using it. If you are caught your posts will be removed and your account instantly disabled and banned.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok if you dont want help i wont help you !

guys take a chill cut the hostility if v continue this way then v land up no where. v all need each others help thats why we are here remember.

here is the idea:

**broken link removed**

4 pairs of wires, running from wall to wall about 40cm from each corner...

the blue lines on the walls, are wooden boards... about 15 X 100mm plants, two of which will have a rebate cut in the back for the wires to run... these will be around all 4 walls.. they will be screwed to the walls, and hopefully make the attachement of the wire mounting hardware more easy...

I'm considering buying two 105watt halogen transformers, depending on the price... I shall look tomorrow...

Thanks for the photo, it should look a treat when it's finished.

Just thought I'd ask:

Are you going to use coloured globes or filters?

SkinnyBoy said:
... and the lights can be positioned along the horizontal wires as I desire...
Can you post the plans of how you are going to attach the lights to the wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back