Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

motor rewire

Status
Not open for further replies.

nextgenelectro

Hey, can anyone help me?

I have a old paper shedder that the circuit board is fried, but the motor is okay. It has a small universal brush motor that was reversible. I want to use the motor for a project, but it has four wires coming out of the motor. I think two are to the brushes and two for the field, but I am not sure how to rewire the switch. I would like to keep it so I can run it clockwise or counter clockwise.

Any ideas?

thanks

There are two ways or wiring it:

Series wound
The feild coil is connected in series with the armature. Lots of torque at low speed but not much at high speed. However never run it without a load because it might spin up to an infinite speed and self distruct.

Shunt wound
The field is either connected to a separate power supply or is in parallel with the armature. Increasing the field current decreases speed but increases torque and increasing the armature current increases the speed.

In both cases to reverse the rotation you swap the connections to either the feild or armature windings.

How was the motor origionally wired in the shreader?

If you want to power it from the same voltage then I suggest you wire it like you found it.

You can run this motor from either AC or DC, if you choose to use DC then it will be more efficient and will work at the same power level from a lower voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back