Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ideas for a capacitor bank for a tesla coil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've built a few tesla coils before, one solid state coil and one flyback tesla coil, however I'm looking to build a new one. I have (as mentioned in a previous post), a surplus of old tubes. I also found a bunch (20-30) of old vacuum capacitors rated for 20kV, they are the adjustable/tunable type. Would these work well for a tesla coil?
Thanks in advance -Ray

usually with a TC, the amount of capacitance needed to resonate the primary to the secondary is kind of large. the resonant frequency of the secondary with thousands of turns is usually quite low... in the 10-50khz range. you need rather high capacitances to resonate a primary of a few turns to such a low frequency. however, you can probably get some ideas from **broken link removed** from around 1918. the capacitors used for primary circuits in transmitters of the time were not much different than what's needed for a TC... some of the spark gap technology might be useful as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back