Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper motor solution for a coil winding machine.

Hello all,
I'm currently putting together a coil/transformer winding machine, and stepper motors seem to be the obvious choice
for driving the magnet wire guiding system.
I've searched on google for solutions but I haven't been able to find anything useful yet.
A coil/transformer winder of course needs a motor and a shaft to turn the bobbin, and a magnet wire guiding system which usually
consists of some kind of mechanical system, usually gears to drive the guiding shaft, which in turn is driven from the main shaft,
-much like a feed screw on a metal lathe.
A better solution would be a guiding system that moves the wire guiding mecanism in steps every time the main shaft has completed a full turn,
and in the case of a wire let's say, of 1mm. diameter this step would also be 1 mm.
So, what I'm asking,-is it possible to control a stepper motor driver to do steps by receiving, let's a pulse generated by the rotation
of the main shaft? -The steps would of course need to be varied according to a magnet wire diameter of choice.
All I have found so far are controllers/drivers that need to be programmed.
In this instance this would be both overkill and not practical for my use.

Hello all,
I'm currently putting together a coil/transformer winding machine, and stepper motors seem to be the obvious choice
for driving the magnet wire guiding system.
I've searched on google for solutions but I haven't been able to find anything useful yet.
A coil/transformer winder of course needs a motor and a shaft to turn the bobbin, and a magnet wire guiding system which usually
consists of some kind of mechanical system, usually gears to drive the guiding shaft, which in turn is driven from the main shaft,
-much like a feed screw on a metal lathe.
A better solution would be a guiding system that moves the wire guiding mecanism in steps every time the main shaft has completed a full turn,
and in the case of a wire let's say, of 1mm. diameter this step would also be 1 mm.
So, what I'm asking,-is it possible to control a stepper motor driver to do steps by receiving, let's a pulse generated by the rotation
of the main shaft of automatic motor winding machine? -The steps would of course need to be varied according to a magnet wire diameter of choice.
thanks in advance for any help

My first thought would be to use a high resolution pulse generator on the main winding shaft, eg. a slotted disc and optical sensor, then a TTL/CMOS programmable divider to generate step pulses at any needed frequency.

Use mechanical or optical limit switches to toggle a bistable / S-R latch at each end of the feed system travel and use the output from that to control the stepper driver Direction input.

That would allow you to use such as an L297 + L298 stepper driver module.

eg.

It's neither overkill, nor impractical - and by far the most obvious solution.

It would be simpler, cheaper, and far more versatile - the days of crude fixed logic system are long gone.

Here's a simple example, with everything done for you:

Interestingly it uses a servo to spread the winding across the bobbin.

I thought the OP was referring to this type of thing, "intelligent" stepper drivers - rather than possibly using a microcontroller generally?

I have no direct experience of them, but look for "electronic lead screw" for lathes.
They use stepper motors to drive the lathe leadscrew to enable the lathe to cut threads of any pitch without having to change the gearing between the lathe spindle and the leadscrew.

JimB

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back