Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Graphic LCD 96x64 w/ SED1565 Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks!!! check this out... Just rename it to a HEX file so:

Nokia 7110.hex.txt

to:
Nokia 7110.hex

and test in proteus.

Attachments

• Nokia 7110.hex.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 281
Hey people here is a VSM (isis(proteus)) file with the source and all for a PIC18F2525 controlling a Nokia 7110 LCD and some LEDs with a button.

EDIT:

**broken link removed**

Is now ONLINE!

Attachments

• Nokia7110_18F2525.zip
    57.2 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
So I kinda got sidetracked on this thing. I made up a PCB last weekend and yesterday and today I decided to really have a go at making up a library with a screen buffer. I was really surprised to get it working so quickly. The logic for writing the characters to the buffer wasn't all that clear in my head, but it ended up working right away, which is a nice change.

So currently I can write text characters at any pixel location I want on the screen, but that's it for now. I'll have to make up a 'set pixel' function, then adapt some circle and line functions for some graphics. I'd also like to make the text smooth scroll, which would be useful.

The library currently refreshes any row that has changed, so it doesn't redraw the whole screen each time pixels are set. I'd like to implement some code that knows exactly what rows/columns have changed, but that would up the complexity and this thing can handle data coming in pretty quick. I have no delays in my clock/write code and it takes it fine.

I hate to do this, but I'll post the code when I've got more done. Right now, I was just excited to get it working without much hassle.

I stole one of the 8x8 fonts from Atom's original code, as the other display fonts I have write the character data from a different direction.

Attachments

• 20090619-lcd7110-001.jpg
    20090619-lcd7110-001.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 658
heh no problem about the font and great work!!!
Can you send me that PCB PLZ!!!!!!!!!!! ill be so great full!

I good luck with circles and such. The only issue i see with this screen is not being able to read data from it. Unless im wrong it seems to be impossible. You would have to keep a buffer of entire screen on the pic to do nicer tricks!

I want the PCB mostly for the PIN out :)

EDIT:
i was thinking of getting some Nokia 3310 LCDs just because they look like they have better connectors and a nice square screen. But then i was also thinking about :

Price
Library (already made)

lol.... My next buy will be a Color LCD probably from sparkfun. Not sure which one tho :D

Will be nice to play with color tho

Last edited:
You would have to keep a buffer of entire screen on the pic to do nicer tricks!

...I decided to really have a go at making up a library with a screen buffer.

That's what I do. I have a screen buffer which I update, then a refresh command will update any rows that have changed in the screen buffer since the last refresh all at once. The screen buffer is 9 pages by 96 columns, so 864 bytes. Small enough to run on my mid to large 8bit uC's without any trouble.

You can have the Eagle part library for the pinout, if you want it. It defines the mounting holes and the pads. It's not the best solution; the thing is just bolted down to the pad. I think I'm going to look at desoldering this cumbersome connector right off the FPC. Really for testing it's nice, but I don't think it's that much better than just the direct wiring you've done.

my wires broke off lol and screen broke :( (hammer drop but still wires broke the trace on 1 lcd and hammer broke both tho lol ) I might order about 2-4 more since so cheap this week.

I would love the eagle part if its not to much trouble. Dont desolder it lol i tried and well... wasnt a smart thing to do lol it desoldered fine but then when i tried to solder some real thin small wire it broke the trace right off the screen lol not a good choice :D

That buffer would be a pain in the butt to figure out for me hence why i never did it lol

Last edited:
Well, that wasn't that hard. First I had the setpixel function moving the set bit the wrong way, so my circle was four arcs with ends pointing away from the centre.

EDIT: The character in the centre of the circle looks a little mauled, because it was changing as I took the picture. I had that character counting through numbers.

Attachments

• 20090619-lcd7110-002.jpg
    20090619-lcd7110-002.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,146
Last edited:
heh i can imagine that. But i can see it works good now!

Great work dude! or should i say Lude! lol

Heh ill be sure to post my Color LCD code when i get it done here and if you have advice just post lol ...

Im going to see if i can order it by tomorrow if not then monday.

Im debating:

SparkFun Electronics - Color LCD 128x128 Nokia Knock-Off

or

SparkFun Electronics - Graphic OLED Color Display 128x128

Not sure yet. But i might get the Breakout board version or the stand alone LCD and use there schematic to make my own board for less (and through hole parts)

not sure tho :D

i was thinking of getting some Nokia 3310 LCDs just because they look like they have better connectors and a nice square screen. But then i was also thinking about :

Price
Library (already made)

lol.... My next buy will be a Color LCD probably from sparkfun. Not sure which one tho :D

Will be nice to play with color tho

I have a couple of the 3310 and they are fine. They actually have a smaller viewable area.

The connector is not that much better on the 3310. It's a flat press fit connector, but if you take apart the plastic housing that the LCD comes in, the connector falls apart, so you have an ugly plastic housing on it, unless you find some way to keep the connector and LCD together, and they are just press fit together and it's not metal that you can solder, it's some kind of conductive plastic. It's hard for me to explain, maybe I'll take a picture.

And they are many times the price. At $1 each, I bought 10 of these and I can afford to trash a lot of them without spending what I spent on 3 3310 LCD's.

I have the Nokia colour 6100 knock-off LCD as well. It's nice and pretty, but I really want these LCD's for RF remotes and the colour LCD with backlight takes too much power for me. It's not that much, but it's much more than the monochrome LCD.

The circle function, I pulled from the 6100 library and just removed the colour code.

Last edited:
heh im planning on using them for a Remote Control system. For my room. To control my lights PC and other stuff like Air Conditioner (already digital :D ) Maybe some other things too :D

How long would you think 8 AA batteries last with a Color LCD and some IR stuff? I guess i can have it shut off the Backlight after like 5-10 seconds to conserve power. The 8 AA's would be more like 4/4 AA so i would series 4 then parallel the other 4 with this 4 to double the mAh. This way if i use 2500mAh batteries and parallel them i should get about 5000mAh. Since 4 are parallel i can use 4-8 batteries depending on what i have available :D

Last edited:
8 AA's should last a very long time.

I'm working more on the scale of 2 AAA's.

I added the rectangle and line functions. I'll spare you another picture.

Last edited:
why? i love pictures dude.... can you PM me the eagle part or post it here plz... i would love it. I plan on at least making something like a PC temp keeper with these smaller LCDs and would love a part to make a PCB

Last pic for comparison.

Nokia 7110, Nokia 3310, and Nokia 6100.

Attachments

• 20090619-lcd7110-003.jpg
    20090619-lcd7110-003.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 1,097
the SED1565 controller does allow a read-command, but i am not sure if nokia implemented it.

DirtyLude, that's a nice project. being able to treat the entire screen as glcd for text purposes is nice. it is necessary if you cannot read from the lcd: the video ram is essentially there for bookkeeping purposes.

Great job mark!!! and thanks!

millwood thats what i meant. It has it but technically it doesnt lol because nokia left it out. I tried tracing pins but no luck so i gave it up. This screen buffer idea is great tho. But heh i not trying to do fancy on this lcd so wont need it lol

But would be nice to know how you wrapped your mind on it tho Mark. :D

Look at this board i will make nice and simple . The header at the bottom will be a 90 degree female. Less chance of damage using it.

Attachments

• lcd.jpg
    lcd.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 569
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back