Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Global Warming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much as I hate to admit it, MrAl, you raise some thoughtful, valid points.

Pretty easy to get complacent when everything, at least from my perspective, is rolling along just fine (for the most part...).

The first I noticed Global Warming talk was in the late 1970's. They said it hasn't been this hot in 500 years! They said the freon from aerosol spray cans was poking holes in the ozone layer. 12 years after they outlawed freon in spray cans & made it illegal to service your own air conditioner, they sent a balloon up to prove that there actually is an ozone layer. There were no aerosol spray cans 500 years ago.

I heard lately that the reason R-12 was made illegal was to give Dow Chemical a monopoly when they developed R-134a, to make up for a major corporate hit after manufacturing Agent Orange. (I don't know if that is true)

Personally I think it's all about profit. Like when the United States tried to go metric. That was a fiasco. I'm sure that every company that sold something by the ounce, gave less volume for more money when they changed to liters. One main result of that is the fasteners on our cars are half metric & half inch sizes now.

I heard yesterday that peking is halting half of their cars to be prohibited to drive, well at least they do something, but i'm thinking it's those factories that make god-knows-what useless junk (like those cars hehe, kidding) are bigger trouble that should be halted bit, as well as oil-companies which are cruel and money-bees all over themselves. I do like all that stuff though, my main hobby wouldn't be possible without those factories, unless my incomes would be bigger....but i hate this situation where human destroys so loved this planet earth is, rich and multicultural in all way possible, makes me wonder what there is left when i'm 80 or something

I heard lately that the reason R-12 was made illegal was to give Dow Chemical a monopoly when they developed R-134a, to make up for a major corporate hit after manufacturing Agent Orange. (I don't know if that is true)

Production of R12 or CFC 12 was halted by the Clean Air act on 1 January 1996 ... to protect the ozone layer. R134a was the replacement refrigerant.

One main result of that is the fasteners on our cars are half metric & half inch sizes now.

Yep, that was annoying (body was English and the engine was metric to some extent/). Now, for the most part all of the car is metric. I HATE Pascals. Too bad we could not have had decimal inches from the beginning. e.g. rulers graduated in 0.1"

In a piece of "modern" electronics, I found M3 screws and #3-48 screws.

Too bad we could not have had decimal inches from the beginning.
How wrong does that sound!!

When I display feet and Tons as opposed to Meters and tonnes I just have 10ths of a foot.. Let them deal with it!!

My point was 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 and 1/128" gets on my nerves. These guys https://www.amazon.com/Etched-Metal-Ruler-Decimal-Divisions/dp/B0002JEZ50 Decimal Divisions. Definitely like 0.250" then we have numbered, letter and fractional drills.

let's not forget over/under reamers. e.g. 0.251" and 0.249"

I like feet and inches because they are close to body parts. How long of an extension cord do I need? Pace it off. The tip of the thumb to the thumb joint is about an inch.

My point was 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 and 1/128" gets on my nerves.
I know... I'm not mocking.... I find it funny when someone calls it "English" measurement when we're metric now!!!

I have a colleague in California.. He always rambles on about Imperial and how it was us that started it... Now the Americans have adopted it, we're now metric... It does his nut in...

My point was 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 and 1/128" gets on my nerves. These guys https://www.amazon.com/Etched-Metal-Ruler-Decimal-Divisions/dp/B0002JEZ50 Decimal Divisions. Definitely like 0.250" then we have numbered, letter and fractional drills.

let's not forget over/under reamers. e.g. 0.251" and 0.249"

I like feet and inches because they are close to body parts. How long of an extension cord do I need? Pace it off. The tip of the thumb to the thumb joint is about an inch.

Hi,

Seriously? Close to body parts? Maybe close to YOUR body parts :)
Not mine :)
You must realize why a body part can not be a standard of measurement.

When i first got into DIP package layouts long long time ago i found 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, etc., to be a big pain so i went out and got a drafting ruler which had graduations in 0.1 inches and even 0.05 inches (as well as others). Those are the rulers with the triangular cross section rather than flat like most regular rulers. It helped with the DIP package layouts because DIP pin spacing is 0.1 inches.

Seriously? Close to body parts? Maybe close to YOUR body parts :)
Not mine :)
this annoys me when i buy new clothes, either they fall off or then they won't fit at all....solution: belt (not applicable for t-shirts for some reason, but those fit well enough)

On second thoughts the post was crass and insensitive I have blanked it.

Last edited:
Can I drag you youngsters back to the subject of GW, and population. Does there seem to be an upward trend in suicides , I seem read about all the time here in UK, is this the overpopulation negative feedback for nature, perhaps like Lemmings ? or is that just a myth.
Sorry Gramps (Incidentally this is what my granson calls me )

Floors all yours!

should the people in the world are aware of the importance of protecting the environment in the surrounding

If one was a believer in Maslow's hierarchy of needs, the awareness of protecting the environment is quite the distance from physiological needs. So when including the "people of the world", the basic needs should be met first. I don't think someone who is scraping by to stay alive really cares about their awareness of protecting the environment, or the phrase "protecting their environment" has a totally different context.

Spec ... Just for you
"White Island near new Zealand produces more Co2 in a day than whole human race produces in a year "
Sorry to re birth thread , got bored.

Spec ... Just for you
"White Island near new Zealand produces more Co2 in a day than whole human race produces in a year "
Sorry to re birth thread , got bored.

Thanks granddad,
Far from apologizing, your comments are appreciated and interesting.
Why are you bored? How is that possible?

Along the same lines as you say, yesterday on the Jeremy Vine BBC Radio Two show, Piers Corbyn (Jeremy Corbin's scientist brother) stated that man is only responsible for 4% of all carbon dioxide generated in the world, so how could he be responsible for global warming. As usual with the BBC, his statement was completely ignored. That is the second time that the BBC have done that to him in the last month. They did the same thing when Nigel Lawson said that there is no man made global warming. I read somewhere that the public need to be educated about man made global warming and any dissenters should be discouraged.

Incidentally, on the same show a medical expert said that all the hype about fats causing artery/heart problems was based on a survey by an expert who selected data to suit his hypothesis- sound familiar. Apparently, the latest scare is not fats but sugar.

Carl Sagan's book 'Demon Haunted World' is a wonderful read. He has a revealing and thought-provoking chapter on BS detection, which every thinking person should read. :woot:

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back