Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Its currently -6F outside. Where are all the global warming freaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they make diet beer???:) I can bring a sh.........t load of light beer. My brother works for brewery.

AllVol said:
By no means. We are trying to escape the impending flood, so come on along.

Be warned, however, that in another **** Chat thread, they're saying the earth's magnetic field is due for a flip-flop, so if that occurs, I won't be able to tell which way is E.

Better triple up on the cheeseburgers, M.

OK, getting the list together. Hope that thing floats too.

But besides directions flipping. I have a UF Gators plate on the front of the RV. Can you still drive it. :D (let me guess, yes if I have a screw driver).. hahahaha..

hjl4 said:
Ok so I take a glass of water filled to the brim. I then drop in an ice cube and all excess displaced water is running down the sides of the glass. I then very carefully put the glass in a bowl. (somehow, I managed to not lose 1 drop).

1/2 hr later, ice cube is gone, and water level in glass has dropped. What just happened??? I thought the bowl would be half full by now.

Their is a moral to this story, don't believe everything about this massive flooding. The ice displaces more water, then if you added equivalent amount of water.

Try it and see.
Water expands when it freezes, so of course the level in the glass will drop.

But if the ice is on land, it will add to the sea level.

Sceadwian said:
ljcox. That's the second time you've quoted that 90% chance it's man's fault in this thread, which is complete bull. Could you please provide a link to validate it? I can't find any information searching on the bellow website, and it's nothing but hearsay to keep saying something without factual basis, not just "I heard it on the news".
http://unfccc.int/2860.php

While the whole smoking thing is absolutely true, anyone who has ever smoked and not known it wasn't good for their health is a freegin moron, you're inhaling the combustion remnants of a chemically treated dried plant.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21137937-24331,00.html
According to this, it is 99% not 90%.

Last edited:
No, the water level in the glass will not drop and it won't overflow when the ice cube melts.

If you place an ice cube on the surface of a glass of water then it floats because it has expanded due to freezing. The submerged part of the ice cube displaces exactly the same amount of water as when the ice cube melts.
Ohm's Law says so!

mramos1 said:
I have a UF Gators plate on the front of the RV. Can you still drive it. :D

With about the same success as that Urban renewal project down there.

Contrary to most folk up here, I have no deep-seated animosity toward Gator fans. I have learned to be tolerant of all those less fortunate than I.

Well I don't believe everything I read in the news.

I only take research taken out by a non-government funded/influenced body seriously.

Although trends have shown CO2 increases tends to follow temperature rises but there is absolutely no proof that the reverse is also true. Just because CO2 levels might be higher (and this is still disputed) than they were in the last warm spell it doesn't mean it will cause any further warming. As only 0.48% of CO2 is man made common sense that we are not responsible for this increase.

Come to think of it high hydrogen fuels are probably more responsible for global warming than high carbon ones. Burning 1 mole (16g) of CH4 (natural gas or methane) gives 1 mole (44g) of CO2 and 2 moles (36g) of H2O. Now as water is (worst case) 10 times as much of a greenhouse gas as CO2 the 36g that's emitted will cause 36/44*10=8.18 times as much global warming as the CO2. There again, the amount of water vapour produced from fossil fuels is still probably a drop in the ocean.

audioguru said:
No, the water level in the glass will not drop and it won't overflow when the ice cube melts.

If you place an ice cube on the surface of a glass of water then it floats because it has expanded due to freezing. The submerged part of the ice cube displaces exactly the same amount of water as when the ice cube melts.
Ohm's Law says so!
Yes, good point.

But what if the ice is made from pure water and the glass is filled with sea water?

In that case, it should overflow since the density of sea water is > than that of fresh.

Hero999 said:
Well I don't believe everything I read in the news.
That's a bit extreme.
Hero999 said:
I only take research taken out by a non-government funded/influenced body seriously.
I don't trust researh done by private interests as they have a commercial axe to grind.

Hero999 said:
Although trends have shown CO2 increases tends to follow temperature rises but there is absolutely no proof that the reverse is also true. Just because CO2 levels might be higher (and this is still disputed) than they were in the last warm spell it doesn't mean it will cause any further warming. As only 0.48% of CO2 is man made common sense that we are not responsible for this increase.

Come to think of it high hydrogen fuels are probably more responsible for global warming than high carbon ones. Burning 1 mole (16g) of CH4 (natural gas or methane) gives 1 mole (44g) of CO2 and 2 moles (36g) of H2O. Now as water is (worst case) 10 times as much of a greenhouse gas as CO2 the 36g that's emitted will cause 36/44*10=8.18 times as much global warming as the CO2. There again, the amount of water vapour produced from fossil fuels is still probably a drop in the ocean.
I don't think anyone has ever said that CO2 was the only green house gas.

And if you read the article I posted, they mention water vapour as a GH gas.

AllVol said:
With about the same success as that Urban renewal project down there.

Contrary to most folk up here, I have no deep-seated animosity toward Gator fans. I have learned to be tolerant of all those less fortunate than I.

If you saw the poster we had on the RV during that game. :D Sure you have seem them all on the internet.

During the flood, we must work together.

AllVol said:
That's exactly the point. Glad you caught it.

We seem to be obsessed with the questionable problem of global warming, all the while clogging arteries with today's junk food. Just human nature, I guess.

Anyone know where I can find diet HoneyBuns?

:D Actually one of the big boys, the world health organization or something like that, just came out with the statement that the biggest contributer to greenhouse gases is today's junk food ( meat industry ).

D.

ljcox said:
I don't trust researh done by private interests as they have a commercial axe to grind.
Fair point, but don't governments also want to find new ways of raising taxes?

I suppose it's sensible to take all research funded by governments and private bodies with a hint of cynicism.

I don't think anyone has ever said that CO2 was the only green house gas.

And if you read the article I posted, they mention water vapour as a GH gas.
Off course, scientist do admit that H2O is the main greenhose gas but the effects of CO2 are all to often played up. I've seen pie charts giving the proportions of greenhouse gases but none that take into account of thier weighted effect. Not only is water the largest greenhouse gas by proportion it also cause more warming per unit mass than CO2.

One theory is that there's some form of positive feedback between greenhouse gasses. When one greanhouse gas increases, it has a knock on effect increasing the others. Increasing CO2 might cause a tiny bit of warming which will cause more water to evapourate causing more warming which will porduce more CO2 and methane (due to the action of microsopic bacteria). This is a crucial part of their climate model but is also probably the most error prone due to the very nature of positive feedback. I'm sure you know how difficult it can be to deturmine whether a system will be stable or not but if you don't have all the values it's almost impossible.

Going back to what I was talking about before.

me said:
Although trends have shown CO2 increases tends to follow temperature rises but there is absolutely no proof that the reverse is also true.
What normally happens to the world's climate after a period of high volcanic activity like in 1816?

The world cools down for a short perioud because the ash blocks out the sun. After the ash has cleared and this period of cooling has come to an end you might expect an abnormal rise in temperatures. You might think that the huge quantities of greenhouse gases consisting of a nasty mix of CO2 CH4 and nitrus oxides will global warming but (as far as I'm aware) no significant warm spell was recorded, the climate just resumed normal service.

[audioguru]No, the water level in the glass will not drop and it won't overflow when the ice cube melts.

Ohm's Law says so![/quote]
I don't think the polar ice cap melting is what's causing sea level rises.

Ice melting on the land is causing sea levels to rise not just by the water but because the land actually rises as the weight of ice pushing down on it reduces displacing more water further adding to the rise. Lowlands that didn't have any ice on were flooded while highlands rose. This has happened before, the UK used to be joined to Europe, then the ice melted, the sea level rose and formed the channel. Even today, Scotland is still supposed to be rising and southern England is sinking even thought the ice has thawed.

Well, global warming is not here in Florida tonight (or New York from what I hear). One airport in New York had only 5 planes in the air yesterday afternoon due to snowfall..

I have the fireplace burning and heat on (in South Florida in Feb....). 72F in the house and probably high 40's outside. Record low 30's in the AM.

Figures on the weekend and too cold for a Florida boy to go out and play..

Help me Al Gore...

What is Al Gore's interest in all this? When a politician get's behind one of these issues, there is somebody stuffing money in their pockets.

Maybe Al will give me some cases of his books to burn in the fireplace.. We are having Global Cooling tonight.

You are in Florida.. Are you wearing short and hanging in the garage in the morning :D What is up with this weather???

There is a snowball in my driveway that is about 1m in diameter. It must weigh about 200kg. I can't cut it and I can't move it. The snowplow probably pushed it here. It might melt by mid-August.

Global Warming will make it a balmy -15 degrees C here tonight.

HarveyH42 said:
What is Al Gore's interest in all this? When a politician get's behind one of these issues, there is somebody stuffing money in their pockets.

Posted earlier.... "A wise man once said that the way to control people is to create a problem where none exists, then be the solution."

Money has nothing to do with it... that is the least of motives. Power. Control. A massive ego.

Audioguru, can you take a chainsaw to it? I know you guys have cold weathers. But down here it is bugs and heat.. The freeze warnings are not normal. :D Well not this time of year.

Now with all that balmy weather we have, I do have a chainsaws (3 working). I could get rid of that thing for you. But I figure I would open the door and then close it and tell you "IT IS REALLY COLD OUT THERE".

Keep the chainsaw I have more.

The weather here is not that far off. I actually like it. Thank God it is not a bad Canadian winter here.

It gets boring to have the same weather all the time. In Canada we get 4 seasons and no hurricanes.
Outside in winter I wear a coat, gloves and warm boots. Sometimes a hat if it is cold and windy.
When I shovel the snow from my sidewalk and driveway there aren't any alligators in the way.

We started off with a very mild/warm winter, which usually leads to a bad huricane season. Usually, we would be in the last few weeks of winter weather about now, but kind seems like its just getting started. Had thought much about cleaning up the oak leaves, until they really started falling these past couple of weeks. Definately weird weather this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back