Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Its currently -6F outside. Where are all the global warming freaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog

Brrrrrrrrr.

High today is supposed to be +8F.:eek:

It's pretty nice here! :D

The first few days of Feburary have been the warmest this year - by a long way!.

I'm currently in the un-heated attic, just wearing a teeshirt (and jeans for any perverts!).

Analog said:
Brrrrrrrrr.

Minus 6 degrees... Bummer dude. Thought people around here were getting all crazy last week about a possable hard freeze (below 32 degrees). Don't think we've had a good freeze in 10 years here, global warming I guess... You laugh, if you saw how insane these people get, they hit the stores and stock up, like they are going to be snowed in for a week (only seen snow twice in over 20 years, didn't even stick on the ground). I grew up out west, on the side of Mount Hood, seldom got down past the teens, but most everyone was prepared for the winter by October.

Oh. ir's 8:15 AM, and about 63 degrees :)

Analog said:
Brrrrrrrrr.

Lucky you.:p I think were supposed to get all the way up to -4F today. I had the am radio on lastnight and Denver was supoosed to get up to 50F today, and in Kentucky, they were whining about the "bitter cold" 20's:rolleyes:

The climate is definitely changing but there still isn't any real solid proof that it's due to carbon emissions.

We had a frost this morning but the sun came out and it was quite pleasant this afternoon.

The forecast says it's going to be a much colder month than January was, it'll probably be the coldest month of the year (February often is).

The poor people in Arizona where the temperature used to reach "only" 40 degrees C in summer will be cooked when global warming causes 50 degrees C like in some 3rd world countries.

The 3rd world countries will reach 60 degrees C.

It used to get pretty cold in winter here in Canada but with global warming coming I'll be comfy.

It's -9 here right now (Rochester, NY)
And I agree with Hero, while global warming obviously is occurring and the climate is changing there's no way to really measure how much of that is from human emissions, primarily because so little is known about the carbon cycle on a global scale. Volcanic eruptions make human additions of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere almost trivially non-existent.

remember, global warming is just that, global

just because winter has returned to North America does not call into question the effects of global warming on the planet as an average. Remember, it is FEBRUARY- we're a bit more than half way through the winter season (Dec 21 - Mar 21), it is supposed to be cold. Looking back at October through Janurary, it has been very warm. Where I live we usually have snow by halloween and certainly by thanksgiving ... this year, no snow until a few weeks after new years!

Sceadwian said:
It's -9 here right now (Rochester, NY)
And I agree with Hero, while global warming obviously is occurring and the climate is changing there's no way to really measure how much of that is from human emissions, primarily because so little is known about the carbon cycle on a global scale. Volcanic eruptions make human additions of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere almost trivially non-existent.

Personally, I think global warming in a bunch of crap and media hype. The planet changes constantly, and in cycles. I think the human hand has little to do in all this. It's just a theory, and very little fact.

Volcanoes tend to dump their load quickly, where we polute 24/7. I don't deny that humans do terriable things their habitat, and need to clean up their act. Ever have neighbors who don't seem to understand the function of a trashcan, or how to securely close a trash bag? It's no fun cleaning up after them, and agrevating, because a little consideration and care would have kept the mess out of your yard to begin with.

I imagine a lot of enviromental concerns are grossly exaterated for financial gain and political reasons. It's unfortunate, because most people tend to ignore it after a while, or get excessive (tree-buggers) and try to screw up everybodies lives.

I am in South Florida and it has been quite nice (until the hurricanes come). Cooler than normal for us, but the cold snaps are lite.

I am with Harvey, the news here states "freeze weather is coming". We were to have 32F and people were going nuts. I just made sure both heaters worked on the house, and a couple propane ones in the garage for backup and the wood was in the house by the fire place. We had nothing.
And if we did a big blanket would probably do the trick.

Now my sister-in-law is outside all day in Arizona (postal carrier) and said it is HOT like it always is.

I wonder if the Jet Stream is moving. The tornados that would normally get us hit 2.5 hours north of here this year. But again, it is global, no patterns, and like said, the volcano erruptions add more than we do with cars.

And factory fires once a week that send up some bad stuff for hours.

I suppose we Brits complain but where I live (Bedford) it normally doesn't get normally below -10°C in winter or above 28°C in summer. Having said the last few winters have been very mild with -6°C being the minimum and the summers have been hot - it got to 36°C last year.

Somehow I don't think the media are putting across a very ballanced argument.

I feel it's my duty to readdress this.

**broken link removed**
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globa...ons_by_opponents_of_the_global_warming_theory

For those who don't have time to read the pages linked above, my favourite points are:
  • Estimates at CO2's effectiveness as a greenhouse gas vary, but are generally around 10-100 times lower than water weight for weight, leaving a "net" greenhouse effect of man-made CO2 emissions at less than 1%.
  • The relationship between historic temperatures and CO2 levels, based on ice-core samples, shows that carbon dioxide increases have always followed a rise in temperature rather than the other way around.
  • The concern about global warming is analogous to the concern about global cooling in the 1970s. The concern about global cooling was unnecessarily alarmist. The concern about global warming is equally alarmist. So industrial pollution was cooling the earth by blocking out the sun back then but now it's heating things up!:rolleyes:
  • Of the 186 billion tons of CO2 that enter earth's atmosphere each year from all sources, only 6 billion tons are from human activity. Approximately 90 billion tons come from biologic activity in earth's oceans and another 90 billion tons from such sources as volcanoes and decaying land plants.So given that it'a a fairly weak greenhouse gas anyway, it's not going to make that much difference anyway.:rolleyes:

People then point to deforestation and claim that we won't have any oxygen if we chop down the reforests but they forget that nearly all the world's oxygen supply is produced by algae in the sea. I can accept that human activities can effect the climate but CO2 is a big misnomer, deforestation of rainforest causes desertification, building on floodplains increases surface run-off causing more flooding in winter and drought in summer, heat from buildings and vehicles in cities increase the temperature locally.

The main thing that annoys me is they claim their computer models are accurate when they can't accurately predict the weather for the next month, let alone the next 100 years!:rolleyes:

Don't forget that scientists have been wrong many times before, remember the millennium bug and how everyone overreacted to it?

The only reason why I support taxing petrol, natural gas and oil is because ceasing our dependence on fossil fuels is the only way we can secure our furure prosperity.

HarveyH42 said:
I imagine a lot of enviromental concerns are grossly exaterated for financial gain and political reasons. It's unfortunate, because most people tend to ignore it after a while, or get excessive (tree-buggers) and try to screw up everybodies lives.

I don't have to imagine, as it's proven by sworn testimony - a lot of environmental concerns are grossly understated for financial gain and political reasons.

a lot of environmental concerns are grossly understated for financial gain and political reasons.
That's true and so is Harvey's argument about it being overstated. Big companies play down environmental concerns to save money whilst governments exaggerate them so they can justify new taxes.

What is man to think he can control the forces of nature. These people predicting global disaster also predicted a paralyzing snowstorm in my area this past week. we got less than one-half inch... and that only on the grassy areas. Get tomorrow's weather right, and I'll consider what you say about 10 years from now.

The people predicting disaster from global warming are wrong. It is freezing outside here today. It is windy. My car said it is minus 15 degrees C outside.

Oh yeah. Today is Sunday and all the poluting companies are closed. No global warming today. I can't wait 'til they are polluting again tomorrow.:D

I had a transistor once that didn't believe in thermal runaway...

It's 30°C (86°F) outside.

The biggest problem I see with Global Warming is that trying to reduce emissions by 10% is completely irrelevant when the population is estimated to increase by over 1% per year. The 10% reduction is from 1990 levels. The population has already increased by nearly 20% since then. Go figure.

Mike.

Global Warming, Kyoto = TAX.

Just an other media hype to try to slap more carbon taxes on everything which uses fuel.

There is no true evidence and our measurements are too short to compare with 10,000 year cycles of colder and warmer periods worldwide.

Here in Auckland 25°C day / 18°C nite, normal for this time of the year.
( 77°F / 64°F )

I recently read through my February 1st issue of **broken link removed** and found this quote regarding global warming interesting.

--- ---

"Regrettably it appears that the Global Warming alarm may be leading us in the wrong direction. Before we make political correct decisions stemming from a too-narrow perspective, it may be worth our time to review the recent findings of NASA, JPL and the Lowell Observatory, who report that Mars is also undergoing 'global warming.' If true (and why shouldn't it be?) perhaps our global warming may be a solar phenomena and not a man-made problem."
- E. Oxner commenting on "Are You Taking Global Warming Seriously? MIT Offers Perspective." Full article and comments **broken link removed**.

--- ---

Main topic related: In my opinion, Michael Crichton's 2004 fictional story (based around global warming), State of Fear, was a pretty good read for those who like techno-thriller novels.

Last edited:
Global warming on Mars?:confused: How would we know? How long have we been able to measure the tempature there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back