Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electric 12volt DC motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKS

Hi All,

what in eed is every adress, producer, internetshop where i can buy 12volt DC motors.

Shipment to spain is necceserry sow.

I.m looking in a wattage of 900watts to 1,5KW dunno what the norms are..

anyy one on this one?

Tks

It's highly unlikely you can buy 12V motors this powerful use a higher voltage. A car starter motor might do but I don't know if they're powerful enough,

Hero999 said:
It's highly unlikely you can buy 12V motors this powerful use a higher voltage. A car starter motor might do but I don't know if they're powerful enough,

Don't start him off with the car starter motors again! - they are absolutely useless devices (except for starting a car!).

Bosch make plenty of suitable motors, check the Robot Wars sites - it's the sort of things they use! - they also usually over run them to greatly increase their power.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Don't start him off with the car starter motors again! - they are absolutely useless devices (except for starting a car!).

People have used them to power robots before and they've been quite good. audioguru's used a car's starter motor to drive it to ther nearest garage. To be honest I wouldn't really recommend them because they'rte not the most efficient of motor.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Bosch make plenty of suitable motors, check the Robot Wars sites - it's the sort of things they use! - they also usually over run them to greatly increase their power.
I know this, I should've mentioned them too. I have a list of suppliers but it's at work. I've found a 24V 700W motor from Bosh for a work project and it was rater from -40 to 80 degrees C. However you really should consider using a higher volage at this power level, I'd use >36V.

Hero999 said:
People have used them to power robots before and they've been quite good.

There was only ONE robot on Robot Wars that ever used starter motors, and they didn't use any speed control - the only reason it ever got anywhere was because the robot was VERY robustly built, and didn't have many parts to break.

Check robot sites, they all say don't use starter motors under ANY circumstances!.

Hero999 said:

He already tried the car starter - it smoked...

I'd guess the "easy" answers would be motors used for wheelchairs or the like.

Last edited:
Car starter motor

A starter motor is not ideal for continuous use at heavy loads.
It's not continuously rated and only for short periods like starting a car or truck engine, there is plenty of torque because it is a series motor.
Also there is no provision for cooling the motor after longer run periods. No cooling fan.
When lightly loaded the motor takes off to a very high speed and could possibly destroy the armature windings because of the centrifugal forces.

Have a look in surplus dump stores. I have a 6kW dc compound motor at home which is rated for 220 Volts dc and weighs about 120 Kg's. to heavy for any portable use.

A good place to read is https://www.4qd.co.uk/faq/bmnc3.html, and this applies to many of the current posts about motors and driving them.

4QD are a major force in DC motor speed controllers, so their website is a good place to start!.

Their opinion of starter motors agrees with mine!
To many, this seems like an easily available motor. But in fact they are not good motors for conventional uses and we really cannot advise their use under any circumstances.

Or, perhaps more accurately?, mine agrees with theirs!.

I smoked the starter already!! The pwm controller i built worked beutifully!!

But i think i just broke the motor because of unloaded use...it smoked, i couldn't reach the problem yet..

can a starter motor become damaged when used at low rpm???

Will search for a better motor..

Power question:
Dunno how much i need, i want to use it to reverse my locost car it weight 550Kg all in, i'm happy with a topreverse speed of 5Km/w in fact i just need/want torque!

F=m x A
F= 550 x 2 (m/sec2)

F= 1100Newtons needed at the wheel

needles to say that in the car there is 12volts available... if it turns out there is no engine up then i will try to claim the starter wich broke...

Tks

Last edited:
Running a starter motor with no load is not a good idea. Series wound motors have no natural / designed speed control, and when powered without a load, they can rev up to rediculous speeds, and actually fly apart. The very least, which you proved, they will bind and burn.

This was explained in an earlier post, you should never power an unloaded starter motor.. you can get seriously hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back