Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

do you think a soldering station worths it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patroclus

I'm thinking on getting a soldering station, but here in Spain there's not much to choose if you want something good but not too profesional that costs like a car.
Basically weller and JBC, and not less than $300.
I need a new iron, and I work with tiny electronic components, and some bigger too, so I would need a 14W and a 30W iron at least.
I also need very tiny tip for some work (0.2 or 0.4mm).
I'm thinkin on expending about $400 on a JBC station i like.

It gets to desired temp in 2 seconds.
It enters stand-by when you put it in its holder
You can change very easily tips without turning it off.
It does not need any calibration ever
It has lots of very long life tips from 0.2mm (cartridges, with heater inside, a bit expensive)...

Well, do you have any opinion about this??

I know many US people own a weller. But I find WS81 to be inferior to JBC station I mentioned, and it is expensive too. Does it need calibration? can you "hot swap" tips (without truning off)??

Thank you!

patroclus said:
I'm thinking on getting a soldering station, but here in Spain there's not much to choose if you want something good but not too profesional that costs like a car.
Basically weller and JBC, and not less than $300.
I need a new iron, and I work with tiny electronic components, and some bigger too, so I would need a 14W and a 30W iron at least.
I also need very tiny tip for some work (0.2 or 0.4mm).
I'm thinkin on expending about $400 on a JBC station i like.

It gets to desired temp in 2 seconds.
It enters stand-by when you put it in its holder
You can change very easily tips without turning it off.
It does not need any calibration ever
It has lots of very long life tips from 0.2mm (cartridges, with heater inside, a bit expensive)...

Well, do you have any opinion about this??

I know many US people own a weller. But I find WS81 to be inferior to JBC station I mentioned, and it is expensive too. Does it need calibration? can you "hot swap" tips (without truning off)??

Thank you!

Look on Ebay.

I only have experience with Hakko products & I like them.. most stations are under $400 USD.

$400 sounds pricey for what you want to do.

$400 sounds pricey for what you want to do.

what do you mean??

I have some AOUYE (they seem like Hakko's, but it is a chinese brand), stations here from less than $60, like the hakko 936, 937 and so on... you may know. But they seem much wrost. Here it is not easy to get replacements and tips, they take more time to heat up, not able to go stand-by, not lead free solder, not as fast heat recovery and good temp control, no way of swapping tips while on, needs calibration,...
I don't know, as prize it's good.

Hi
I have a JBC AR5500, and, apart from my scope, its probably the nicest investment in electronics tools Ive made. Ive used Wellers and Hakkos and Xytronics, and the JBC is WAY nicer than all of them put together.

Yes, JBC is expensive but very good.
Anyway, AR5500 must cost more than $1000. That's far away from me :)
I might afford a AD2700, but no more! (near $400)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back