Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Delay timer circuit conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferdmonster

Being a rank amateur, customizing an off the shelf delay timer relay circuit is perplexing. It seems each circuit I purchase that is programmable has multiple programs, none of which meet my needs. My needs are:

Switch closes and stays closed
Timer starts counting down from 1 hour
If time goes to zero, relay closes
If switch opens before 1 hour, timer resets

I think that's all I need the circuit to do to start with. Eventually I would like to add the ability to send a text message if relay closes after 1 hour.
Right now I'm trying to learn to program Arduino but it doesn't seem my specs can be met by that system, at least so far in my study. Am I heading toward a dead end?

Welcome to ETO!
Does this help?
You could use an Arduino to create a required delay, then an I/O pin could switch a power transistor and hence a relay or other load.

Yes it sure helped me understand timed delayed relay functions. Thank you. It's just that I don't know where to study programming of these circuits that will meet my criteria.

Study the Datasheets for particular time delay relays you have, or are considering obtaining. Manufacturers often publish Application Notes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back