Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Copy & Paste TI-84+ Silver Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumly

Hello,

I have the TI-84+ Silver Edition. Is there a way I can copy numbers from earlier to paste into newer calculations?

I have a Texas Instruments TI-30XS and I can scroll back on the display to copy and paste anything at any time. I'm hoping I can do the same with my TI-84+ Silver Edition.

When I am doing a series of calculations I need to reuse numbers from earlier calculations, but I don’t want to keep writing down the numbers to re-enter them again later.

I also have the TI-89 Titanium, Voyage 200 and TI-89 so I will take any advice you have on any of them to help me copy and paste but I'm most interested in my TI-84+ Silver Edition.

Much thanks indeed!

Don't you do something like STO->ALPHA- and a letter to store it and then just use the letter in your next calculation. I don't have one handy so can't check.

Mike.

Don't you do something like STO->ALPHA- and a letter to store it and then just use the letter in your next calculation. I don't have one handy so can't check.

Mike.
I know I can store an answer into any variable (A-Z and theta) and then use that in later calculations but that is not the same thing as scrolling on the display to copy and paste anything at any time. If I could simply scroll backward and forwards and then copy and paste anything at any time like my cheap and cheerful Texas Instruments TI-30XS that would be much nicer.

So I understand about using variables, the problem being you can't view the variables at the same time as you are calculating a series of consecutive equations, thus it can be hard to remember what number was stored into what variable.

Let me explain further and let's see what you think. I'm teaching in front of the class so I have no paper to write things down on, however I do write the ongoing answers on the whiteboard as I progress through the multiple steps, but not to the maximum number of digits as held in the calculator.

But there are a number of problems associated with doing that:

1) there is the increased chance of data entry error every time you copy a number down and then re-enter it

2) unless you copy the number down with the complete number of digits, then each time you copy it down and then re-enter it rounding errors accumulate, thus after four of five ongoing calculations the rounding errors can get to the point that the final answer falls outside the expected norm

Now I could write down the letter I have saved the variable under, so that way all I need do is recall that variable when required for further calculations but this assumes I know ahead of time exactly which values I need to store and which values I can safely ignore. This is not always the case in multiple ongoing circuit analysis spanning a number of calculations. Sometimes it turns out I need a value that I may not have expected I needed! That's why I'm trying to see if there is a true scrolling/copy/paste feature on any of the more advanced TI's.

It seems strange that the lowly TI-30XS should be the only TI that can truly do this. By the way the TI-30XS has a four line display but it’s weak manipulating phasors, imaginary numbers and cannot perform calculations that are not base 10 etc so the TI-30XS does not have the depth of power to do many of the other kinds of calculations I need. That's why I also use the non-programmable Casio FX991MS, Casio FX991ES, and Sharp ELW516B while in front of the class.

I've heard that Omnicalc might allow me to scroll through something like 16 previous entries and find the one I want but I'm not sure. Any-who here is a link to the new-ish Texas Instruments TI-30XS and here is the key feature I refer to: "Designed with unique features that allow you to enter more than one calculation, compare results and explore patterns, all on the same screen" TI-30XS MultiView™ by Texas Instruments - US and Canada

I also have the TI-89 Titanium, Voyage 200 and TI-89 so I will take any advice you have on any of them to help me copy and paste, but I'm most interested in my TI-84+ Silver Edition.

Thanks ever so much!

Last edited:
Aside from storing the value into a variable, I see no way of doing what you want. Pressing the 2nd key then enter key will allow you to go through previous calculations. Let us know if you find a way of doing this...

One thing I hated about the 83/84 is no base function. I will have to try the omni calc.

Thanks

Hi Mikebits,
I like the cheap and cheerful Casio FX991ES for non base 10, however I'd be surprised if there was no software for the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition to handle non base 10.

Last edited:
Hi Mikebits,
Although I have not tried it yet TI Cares Customer Support ti-cares@ti.com tells me the following. So either I and a number of others I have recently chatted with are wrong or TI Cares Customer Support does not fully understand what I'm getting at.

I would be very pleased to discover we are all wrong and TI Cares Customer Support's advice is the cat's ass. I you try the latest OS before me let me know!

TI Cares Customer Support tells me:
The latest version of TI-84 Plus family Operating System (OS), OS version 2.53MP, will allow you to scroll up and paste entries and answers similar to the TI-30XS MultiView. If you do not have the latest OS you may download it from the link below.

App & OS Download Instructions by Texas Instruments - US and Canada

I am not sure what Operating System you have on your TI-89 Titanium and Voyage 200 as the latest versions that have been around for about 6 years have the ability to scroll up and paste entries or answers as well. I recommend that you also check your OS for 3.10 OS, if you do not have this OS please visit the link above.

Another resource you can use to find answers to your questions, example calculations and other information is our Knowledge Base. The Knowledge Base is accessible to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Last edited:
Good news!

The TI-84+ Silver Edition can indeed scroll / copy / paste just like my lowly TI-30XS, in fact even better as it has a larger display and more scrolling memory. All you need to do is have the latest version of the OS as discussed.

I can thank the wonderful people at TI Cares Customer Support ti-cares@ti.com for their help. So yes there is indeed a simple easy alternative using the variables on the TI-84+ Silver Edition and yes you can indeed scroll / copy / paste.

In fact as long as you have the latest OS you can also scroll / copy / paste on the TI-89, TI-89 Titanium and TI Voyage 200 all of which I also own.

I hope this information is of use to you.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the info...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back