Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermal paste on thermal pad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serge 125

Hi all!!

Ok just want to know if I can use a little bit of thermal paste on a thermal pad? I don't have any thermal pad and since there is a thermal pad on the aluminum block that is kinda missing a very little piece that I was wondering if I can still put a smaller than a pee blob on it?

THANKS!!!

Some thermal pads are not re-usable. Also, most provide insulation from the heatsink and thermal paste in a hole may actually conduct, creating some form of short for the device.
Do the right thing and get a new thermal pad. Other options are other forms of insulating layers, from ceramic to mica insulators...

I'd say not. If it's trapped in a cavity in the pad, the grease cannot spread out and form an even, thin, layer. It may prevent even pressure on the pad.

If whatever heatsink attachment is suitable and insulation is not required, I'd remove the pad completely and only use the thermal paste.

It should work far better anyway, as thermal paste / heatsink compound is only supposed to fill the microscopic imperfections in the surfaces, to avoid insulating air pockets when the two items are clamped together.

Thermal pads are always less effective than that; but more convenient and mechanically less critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back