Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BH1417F output power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

things

hey Guys, I have built a little kit called the "Micromitter". In the instructions, it says the BH1417F chip has a RF output of about 10W, but there is a few resistors on the board that are supposed to limit it to about 10µW. They say it can do about 20 metres, so I was wondering, what kinda distance could 10W do in a open area? I would like to extend the range a little, but I dont wanna be transmitting too far :eek:

EDIT: I just saw the datasheet of the chip, it says the transmitting current is 28ma ?

Cheers

Last edited:
hey Guys, I have built a little kit called the "Micromitter". In the instructions, it says the BH1417F chip has a RF output of about 10W, but there is a few resistors on the board that are supposed to limit it to about 10µW. They say it can do about 20 metres, so I was wondering, what kinda distance could 10W do in a open area? I would like to extend the range a little, but I dont wanna be transmitting too far :eek:

It's not 10W, or anywhere near that :D

You can extend the range slightly by removing the output attenuator, that's all you need to do.

Last edited:
Do you know what the output of the BH1417F is? It has a little GFWB3 filter on the RF output of the BH1417F, and that just then goes to a few resistors, then to the antenna. I am guessing i'd just solder the antenna to the direct output of the GFWB3?

Thanks

10W is far too high for 28mA.

If the power output is to high then at an attenuator consisting of a couple of resistors.

For example the circuit attached cuts the power by 6dB (a quarter of the input power).

RL is the RF load, the aerial/antenna.
R2 is the same impedance as the load so the voltage across the load is halved giving ¼ of the input power.
R1 is an impedance matching resistor. To work properly transmitter requires a load impedance of 75Ω assuming the load is a ¼ wave monopole. RL and R2 in series have a total impedance of 150Ω so connecting a 150Ω resistor in parallel reduces the input impedace to 75Ω.

The power dissipation in the resistors is:
R1 ½ input power.
R2 ¼ input power.
The power dissipation relative to the input power is the same in this kind of attenuator regardless of the impedance or power rating.

Attachments

• 6db Attenuator.GIF
    6db Attenuator.GIF
    1.8 KB · Views: 351
Hi Hero, I am drawing up a diagram of my attenuator now, but do you know what kinda wattage the BH1417F can output by itself? Apparently it has a built in attenuator, and then a extra one on the circuit board. I am trying to get just abit more range, 20M is just abit dodgy. I just want to know wether the output power from this hting is gonna affect the whole neighborhood :eek:

Hi Hero, I am drawing up a diagram of my attenuator now, but do you know what kinda wattage the BH1417F can output by itself? Apparently it has a built in attenuator, and then a extra one on the circuit board. I am trying to get just abit more range, 20M is just abit dodgy. I just want to know wether the output power from this hting is gonna affect the whole neighborhood :eek:

Like I've already told you above, you get a slight range increase by removing the attenuator - it's not going to go very far.

EDIT: I just saw the datasheet of the chip, it says the transmitting current is 28ma ?

Cheers
while constructing the kit please do consider some interesting mods suggesticd with comments by one "AN920" at
https://www.electronics-lab.com/forum/index.php?topic=11519.msg62890#msg62890
it is posted on 9th june 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back