Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power factor

manojm

My power supply utility company charges me on kVA and NOT kW. So power factor plays an important role. I need power factor near to unity, to get reduced power bill.
Currently I observe my 10Ton LG make VRV/ VRF/ Big AC has power factor of about 0.90
and my Side by Side Samsung make big fridge/ refrigerator has a very poor power factor of 0.33 to 0.66.
What should I do to improve power factor of VRF and of FRIDGE near to 1.
I am getting 1 phase supply at 50 Hz, 220 V (quite stable) for fridge
I am getting 3 phase supply for VRF/VRV, not sure of rating , but as a rule in India we get 50 Hz 415V for 3 phase.

You need to know why the power factor is poor.

Induction motors tend to have a lagging power factor, and a simple capacitor can be used to improve the power factor.

On the fridge, there may be a non-sinusoidal waveform so a capacitor won't help. Also, the fridge compressor will only run some of the time, so the power consumption of the fridge will be low at times. The power factor when the compressor is not running is not important as it will not cost you much money on such a low consumption.

I'd suggest an automatic compensator?

They have a power factor meter built in with capability to switch in different capacitors, as needed at any particular time.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back