Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flomec-qs100 Open collector output

samBH

Hi,
We are using multiple of these flowmeters (Flomec-qs 100, please see the link: https://fluidhandlingpro.com/great-...the-flomec-qs100-turf-irrigation-flow-sensor/). Now these have only two output wires and they are supposed to be connected as a open collector output. So connecting a pull-up resistor should work between the collector and the Vcc (power supply, 10-20 V). However, we are unable to display the output pulses on a oscilloscope even when we use a pullup resistor (we used 4.7k, 10 k, etc. see the connection diagram below). We have used a PLC before and it was able to count the pulses. But my question is how can I display the pulses in a scope or sample them with a National Instrument DAQ device. Thanks.
Samik
1695413399639.png

I'd try 1K or less for the pullup.

The specifications I've found are confusing - on sheet says 200uA in the "off" state, but the photos show both power and signal LEDs on the unit, which I would expect to take rather more than that?

With a pullup resistor in place, check that there is more than 7.5V across the sensor when the output is "off" - that's the minimum rated operating voltage.

The output pulses are apparently 4mS long and presumably low-going, so should be visible on a scope?

But my question is how can I display the pulses in a scope or sample them with a National Instrument DAQ device. Thanks.
Samik

On a scope use either edge, + or -, set trigger for a couple 100 mV to trigger, trigegr mode "normal".

Regards, Dana.

We do a LOT of work with similar devices, and manufacture various equipment that connects to them - they are pretty well universally either open-collector (or open-source), or a simple reed relay.

So, as you've drawn the connections - you need a pull-up to a +ve supply (we normally use 3.3V, 5V, or non-rechargeable Lithium batteries at 3.6V) - the actual voltage isn't usually of any importance. We also normally use two x 22K resistors in series as a pull-up - but it's not usually supplying power.

The issue with this one is that it requires power, and that it has LED's (using more power) - I eventually found a datasheet, but it's incredibly poorly written, and not at all clear what's required.

But from what I can gather, there's a 50 ohm resistor in series with the collector/source (commonly 100 ohm is used - this could be lower though because of the added power requirement, and doesn't really matter).

Also it lists the voltage required as 7.5V to 36V - which I surmise suggests it's intended to connect to a PLC, which are normally 24V - with a 12V supply I'd suggest trying a 1K as rjenkinsgb suggested, and see what happens?.

You say you're not seeing pulses?, but what DC voltage is on the output - is it 0V, 12V, or somewhere in between?.

Hi Nigel,
Many thanks for your detailed reply. I will test with a 1k pullup resistor and let you know the result soon. The DC voltage on the output was almost same as the supply which meant the device was not drawing enough current. I will post a detailed note with different resistors soon. My life will be really simple if I can get a pulse transmitter and display device. This may work
rainbird_controller
But I am not sure.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back