Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

accelerometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

michavardy

Accelerometer:

Using the ADXL193 accelerometer and the MCP3002 ADC:

What other parts do I need to read from the accelerometer, sample and write out the results to excel.

· Could I connect the MCP3002 to an arduino to record the results or would it be too slow?

· Do I need an external clock?

· Can I write to an SSD card, or should I write to a computer?

· Should I work with LabVIEW?

Attachments

• accelerometer.png
    accelerometer.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 138
1. The Arduino UNO (and most other microcontrollers) has a built-in ADC via the analogRead function. You shouldn't need an external ADC. Electronics are quite fast compared to mechanical systems, so unless you are trying to take a lot of measurements on something extremely fast, it should be fine.
2. The Arduino already has a clock crystal on board. something like a PIC can be set to use either an internal RC clock (which isn't as accurate as a crystal), or be run from an external crystal.
3. Depends on what you are doing exactly. If the period over which you will be taking sample data is relatively short, you might just have the arduino print the data to the serial monitor over USB and then manually copy-paste the numbers into an excel spreadsheet (the copy paste should automatically do the cells, I've done it this way a few times, but it's a somewhat quick-and-dirty solution). Writing out the data to an SD card might make it more portable and able to run unattended for long periods. If you only need to take a few data points, you might even save the data to the Arduino's internal EEPROM.
4. Again, this might depend on what exactly you are planning to do. I don't know much about Labview.

I guess the important factors to consider are:
-how many samples per second am I taking?
-how many samples will I need to take total?
-how long will the measurement run?
-does the data need to be taken unattended or remotely?

Are you wanting to use acceleration, to compute velocity changes and position travelled every millisecond, every second? Define all outputs and intervals to see what processes are needed to compute trajectory, vs target and stability vs disturbances.

thanks everyone,
I am measuring the vibration of an earth compactor machine,
the vibration shouldn't be above 200 hz
so I should be fine using an arduino,
yea I will try to find code to write to excel

perhaps I went a bit overboard with an external ADC,
but it was a good thought experiment

Hi michavardy,

welcome to ETO,

Which part of Israel are you at? If you put it next to 'Location' on your user page it will display in the box at the left of your posts. Not only is it interesting to know where members are from, but it also helps with answers.:)

spec

compactors are fun. you have to measure the ground effects though , not the floating machine, thus the g level is the difference during the compression peak, when it makes contact,,the rest is just the machine storing energy. just like the current in bridge cap peak current for charging except opposite.

I used to measure dyke clay and tennis court soil density after each layer as an EE student working for a Soils consultant.
Then one day during a school addition after the brick layer shored up a new wall, the contractor behind schedule, ordered a vibratory sheeps foot roller and the same day with strong winds the entire wall of bricks came down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back