Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC adpter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Milazzo

I have an AC adpater with output of "16-10V" "2.2-3.2A". I have a unit I would like to use is with which is rated at "12V 2.5A". Will this work, or likely cause problems? :?:

AC or DC are important differences. If the adapter provides AC and you need DC they're not compatible. The reverse also is not compatible.

It looks like your suply, whether AC or DC, is not regulated unless the voltage range is the result of a deliberate adjustment and not the increase in load. The real question - does the load you are powering require regulation?

If the load requires DC, as you've described and the power supply is DC, as you have described, it might be worth a try. Describe the application and maybe we can help more.

Dave Milazzo said:
I have an AC adpater with output of "16-10V" "2.2-3.2A". I have a unit I would like to use is with which is rated at "12V 2.5A". Will this work, or likely cause problems? :?:

Stevez is right, make sure it is DC output and your intended load is DC.

If you want some confidence that it will work before risking your real load. You could make a 4.8 Ohm, 30Watt resistor and put it on the output of your adapter. If it can maintain around 12V, you're probably OK. If it is all the way down to 10V, you intended load _might_ have an issue. It is likely not going to be at 16V delivering 2.5A however.

If you are willing to add some regulation in between just to be safe, then that makes it even easier. But you might be just fine without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back