7segment current drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can u recommend a p type & and n type to use? resistors suck up pcb space.
I am using the 16f882, i have the schematic in proteus, a bit crisscrossed as its being prototyped. Once I can define what pins are used for which features I need to optimise the layout based on the pin locations to ease PCB design.

I'll b able to share it in a day or 2 as I get a chance to lay things out.

Last edited:
Thx Mike,
I found a few dual transistor devices that look like a good option.
I am having a little difficulty with the 4 segment CA. Very few with decent luminosity numbers.

I am thinking of going with a pair of 2 digit units instead. I found this one at a decent price point
AVAGO TECHNOLOGIES|HDSP-523E|Segmented Alphanumeric LED | Newark.com

Plus my calculations for driving the segments with abt 60mA each over the 1/4 duty cycle works out to abt 50 ohms with a Drop of 3V (from 5). I'll go with this array to make assembly easier
https://www.newark.com/bourns/4608x-102-560lf/resistor-iso-res-n-w-4-56ohm-2/dp/32K9988

Any suggestions on a switching pwr supply chip?
Also for Transient ESD protection on the analog inputs to the PIC. How does a 2.7K resistor sound? I believe the PIC already has clamping diodes built in, not so?

On the matter of PCB desgin, since I am using a shift register, the data is coming out at about 1 Mhz down the serial & clk lines. Can u offer any advice on bypass caps and signal trace lengths/widths, or if a ground plane is required?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…