Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor ON/OFF Trigger to Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikhil_M

Hello,

I am a beginner at using Arduino.

I wish to do a very simple project.

If a user turns ON a water motor pump, it should give a trigger to my Arduino UNO.

Arduino will note the Motor ON time and date.

If a user turns OFF a water motor pump, it should again give a trigger to my Arduino UNO.

Arduino will note the Motor OFF time and date.

Please help me how can I detect motor ON/OFF and save the data using Arduino.

The safest way is if the motors switch has a spare Pole that you can connect to the Arduino which keeps the circuits isolated from each other.

To record the time and date you need a DS1307 or the better DS3231 Real Time Clock module, both have extra EEprom memory on board to record the events if you use up all your Ardunio EEprom.

001023.jpg

You can use your UNO to :

1) Measure a V from pump switch to create trigger. Use an opto coupler
to isolate pump switch voltage from UNO.

2) Use a shaft disk and optocoupler to count pulses (RPM) to create trigger.
iu

3) Use a optical flow sensor.
iu

4) use a pump switch with additional contacts UNO can generate its own trigger from.

5) Use a pump centrifugal switch on shaft to UNO.

If you need a separate processor to develop the trigger could use an ATTINY85 and
mBlock to do the counting/Vmeasure/sensor interface, here is example sensing V -

1643028538343.png

You drag and drop functional blocks out of window 2 to window 3, config, and mBlock
will generate the Arduino code to program an attiny85 (an 8 pin AVR processor). Use the
UNO to program the ATTINY then revert the UNO back to its "normal" code. or just use
USB and appropriate driver to do the programming.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
An alternate is to use an ESP8266, that would allow you to do application
over a network, and to obtain time / date from network. Use TUNIOT to do the
programming, here is an example of ease to create even complex application,
using TUNIOT -

Regards, Dana.

It is powered using a AC 3 phase supply
Assuming 440VAC 3 phase (as in UK) is the neutral available? If so you could wire a 230V relay between one of the phases and neutral? The relay is then just like a switch and there are lots of examples of reading a switch with Arduino.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back