Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7segment current drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can u recommend a p type & and n type to use? resistors suck up pcb space.
I am using the 16f882, i have the schematic in proteus, a bit crisscrossed as its being prototyped. Once I can define what pins are used for which features I need to optimise the layout based on the pin locations to ease PCB design.

I'll b able to share it in a day or 2 as I get a chance to lay things out.

Last edited:
Thx Mike,
I found a few dual transistor devices that look like a good option.
I am having a little difficulty with the 4 segment CA. Very few with decent luminosity numbers.

I am thinking of going with a pair of 2 digit units instead. I found this one at a decent price point
AVAGO TECHNOLOGIES|HDSP-523E|Segmented Alphanumeric LED | Newark.com

Plus my calculations for driving the segments with abt 60mA each over the 1/4 duty cycle works out to abt 50 ohms with a Drop of 3V (from 5). I'll go with this array to make assembly easier
https://www.newark.com/bourns/4608x-102-560lf/resistor-iso-res-n-w-4-56ohm-2/dp/32K9988

Any suggestions on a switching pwr supply chip?
Also for Transient ESD protection on the analog inputs to the PIC. How does a 2.7K resistor sound? I believe the PIC already has clamping diodes built in, not so?

On the matter of PCB desgin, since I am using a shift register, the data is coming out at about 1 Mhz down the serial & clk lines. Can u offer any advice on bypass caps and signal trace lengths/widths, or if a ground plane is required?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back