Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timer Circuit...Can I Replace the 4020 with a 4060?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calenk

Im making a timer for a water pump, out of a 120V Solid State Relay.
its has adjustble ON and OFF delays from 2 seconds to 4h 30min.
Pin # Schematic Pin Delay Time
9 Q1 2 sec
7 Q4 16 sec
5 Q5 32 sec
4 Q6 ~ 1 min
6 Q7 ~2 min
13 Q8 ~ 4 min
12 Q9 ~ 8 min
14 Q10 ~ 17 min
15 Q11 ~34 min
1 Q12 ~ 68 min
2 Q13 ~ 2 hr 15 min
3 Q14 ~4 hr 30 min

Now im wondering if i can do this circuit with a 4060 counter...cause i dont have access to any 4020's.
i also would like to change the interval timings to something like 1 second to like 8 hours for the OFF cycle.

would this be the proper way to change this...is this schematic even correct....could someone post a schematic of a timer capable of this?

Attachments

• timer_schematic.jpg
    timer_schematic.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,609
Im sorry but i dont really understand these cmos chips to much....i cant understand how to incoperate the 4060 into this timer and what effect it will have on interval delays

Since the 4060 haven't Q1 and Q11, the 2sec and the 34min not available.
But You can use the another section of 4013 for Q11.

so how would i incorperate the 4060 into this circuit, and how will it affect the interval times....a schematic would help

calenk said:
so how would i incorperate the 4060 into this circuit, and how will it affect the interval times....a schematic would help
i cant draw a schematic because I cant tell where the the connections go on your circuit..

well would you know how to make a timer with adustble on and off times capable of minutes and hours....????
sorry im a newbie at circuit design.
thanks

i need a 120v timer that i can adjust the ON and OFF delays
via (2) 12 position rotary switches or potentiometers with a widerange of delay times- 1min to 8 hours or something

preferablly using 14 stage counters or whatever is needed for a wide arrangent of delay times ranging from 1 minute to 8hours or so. even being able to use seconds like the schematic i posted would be cool....(that schematic i posted is even exactly what i need it just the closest i can find)

using a solid state relay or something i need to turn on a 120v water pump for a short period of time. then turn it off for a long period.(the reason for the wide range of delays)
and just keep cycling these timings until there changed

so basically i need an ajustable cycle timer where you can set the on time any where from 1 min to 8 hours, and set the off time any where from 1 min to 8 hours aswell.

so anything like the schematic i posted would be sufficient,its ajustble by 12 delay intervals for both on and off cycles and it can even go down to seconds

let me know if i need to be more specific

calenk said:
well would you know how to make a timer with adustble on and off times capable of minutes and hours....????
sorry im a newbie at circuit design.

The simplest way would be to use a PIC, you could use that to generate any delay you wanted - from microseconds to years, all from a single chip and very few other components. The largest number of external components would be involved in setting the time you want!.

oh yea the schematic i posted also has and "auto on feture" meaning it automatically start in the on cycle when power is applied...that what these component are for i believe.
Res. at bottom = 1K ohm
Res at middle = 10K ohm
Cap. at bottom = 68 uF

again i dont know much about this stuff....so im not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back