Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Charger Amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory

I have posted my post twice . Removed text but can not remove the post page.

Last edited:
I have Burnt out my Ride on lawn mower Regulator and I would like to make one to replace the burnt out one.
The motor has a built in Alternator that supplies 40 V AC 10 Amp Max But the Regulator I have drawn up using a LM317K reg can only supply 1.5 amps
I would like to deliver more current to the battery When it is required.
I know that there can be transistors placed in the circuit to increase the current but I do not know where to place them in the circuit. What transistor would I use
Or is there another way.
I will try to add a attachment.
Can you help
There is only 2 wires coming out of the alternator.

Attachments

• IMG..pdf
    143.1 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
On most alternators I've seen, the two wires are (a) field and (b) three-phase (rectified) stator. The case is the common (ground). What's the source of your information?

There is only 2 wires coming out of the Alternator under the Flywheel one red and one black. I placed a Digital multimeter in series with the 2 wires and reved the motor up until the AC voltage became stable.
Hope this helpes

Do you have any service information regarding your riding mower?
What is the maker and model number? What voltage is the electrical system?

There is only 2 wires coming out of the Alternator under the Flywheel one red and one black. I placed a Digital multimeter in series with the 2 wires and reved the motor up until the AC voltage became stable.
Hope this helpes

Why have you removed your first post AFTER people had replied?

Sorry but that's just plain rude.

If you'd realised you'd made another thread then you should've just posted a link, there's no excuse.

Why have you removed your first post AFTER people had replied?

Sorry but that's just plain rude.

If you'd realised you'd made another thread then you should've just posted a link, there's no excuse.

No one had answerd the first post I was trying to add a attachment to the post but could not to that post The post's where 3 minute's apart I do not under stand how to post a link.
I tried to just post the attachment but I had to type in text for me to activate the post.
If I have offended any one then I apologise to them.

I Will try to find out further information on the electrical charging Circuit and submit that information.
Thank you for your reply

I Will try to find out further information on the electrical charging Circuit and submit that information.
Thank you for your reply

I'm thinking that your alternator has a permanent magnet field, and can only be regulated using a "shunt regulator". Here is a previous thread that dealt with this.

No one had answerd the first post I was trying to add a attachment to the post but could not to that post The post's where 3 minute's apart I do not under stand how to post a link.
I tried to just post the attachment but I had to type in text for me to activate the post.
If I have offended any one then I apologise to them.

Sorry, that was my mistake for not reading the second post properly, it should've been obvious to me why you did what you've done.

I shouldn't have jumped on you and should have read all your posts before engaging my fingers with the keyboard.

EDIT:

What's the battery voltage?

The trouble is the LM317 is only rated for a maximum Vin-Vout of 40V but it might be all right if there's no chance of it being short circuited.

You can add a current booster to the LM317, which should enable it to provide 10A but you'll need a large heat sink.

What's the voltage from the alternator when fully loaded?

It's possible that the voltage will drop a lot so it won't need to dissipate the full voltage at the maximum current.

Last edited:
The battery is 12 V DC
Yes this is a permanent magnet field .
There is only 2 wires from the stator windings as I had removed the flywheel to inspect and test the windings.
I have not don a Load test
I have red a previous post . Could you tell me what components to use for my project and a circuit drawing,
Yes I believe the voltage will drop when a load is placed on the alternator but how much I do not know at this stage.
Below is the post you had don previously The you that was posted in a reply above

Using 50W Zener to regulate motorcycle alternator?
Thank you

Is the rectifier intact, or was that inside the regulator you removed?

I would use the circuit that I posted. It will give much tighter regulation than the Zener.

Last edited:
regulator is burnt out and sealed including rectifier but it is a external unit.
Is that the circuit in the other post.#13
In that post you have written 1hom 50W resistor. have you inserted that resistor into the Circuit diagram what is Rint in post #15.
Thank you

Last edited:
I updated the schematic specific to your mower (14.2V). You will need to procure a 25A 200V Full-wave Rectifier Bridge to convert the AC output from the alternator stator winding to DC. This is wired between the stator winding and the battery. All of the mower loads, including the lights and ignition, etc, must be connected downstream of the ignition switch. The regulator is built in two pieces, a hand-wired circuit board, the power resistor, and the NFET, which must be bolted to (but electrically insulated from) a large piece of metal.

Attachments

• Mower.png
    Mower.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 539
Thank you for your Circuit
Is there another shunt regulator to use in Place of TL431 as I am having problems obtaining one here in AU
or building the regulator with other parts.
Is it possible to make the bridge rectifier from diodes as I have plenty of different diodes.
The place where I obtain parts has a reasonable range but If I require any from other companies I have to have a business and open up account.
Can you help me with the above

The TL431 (Texas Instruments) or LM431 (National Semi) are widely available and multiply second sourced. I cant believe you cant get them in OZ. I just bought 10 of these the other day at $0.18 ea.

The diodes in the bridge should be rated >20A and >100V.

I have in contact with Jaycar Electronics and they do not supply the Part.
I will try Dick Smith Electronics and see if they have the part but it is not in there Catalog.
Thank you for your help
I may be able to obtain them on line.

It's a fairly common part, RS Components and Farne both sell it and are in Australia.

In the circuit there is P channel Mosfet IRF9410 Could I use a IRF 9530 220AB body

Absolute Maximum Ratings TC = 25oC, Unless Otherwise Specified
IRF9530,
RF1S9530SM UNITS
Drain to Source Breakdown Voltage (Note 1) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . VDS -100 V
Drain to Gate Voltage (RGS = 20kW) (Note 1) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .VDGR -100 V
Continuous Drain Current . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ID
TC = 100oC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ID
A
A
Pulsed Drain Current (Note 3) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . IDM -48 A
Gate to Source Voltage . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . VGS ±20 V
Maximum Power Dissipation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . PD 75 W
Dissipation Derating Factor . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.6 W/oC
Single Pulse Avalanche Energy Rating (Note 4) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . EAS 500 mJ
Operating and Storage Temperature . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . TJ, TSTG -55 to 150 oC
Maximum Temperature for Soldering
Leads at 0.063in (1.6mm) from Case for 10s. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . TL
Package Body for 10s, See Techbrief 334 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Tpkg
oC
oC
CAUTION: Stresses above those listed in “Absolute Maximum Ratings” may cause permanent damage to the device. This is a stress only rating and operation of the
device at these or any other conditions above those indicated in the operational sections of this specification is not implied.
NOTE:
1. TJ = 25oC to TJ = 125oC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back