Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery adapter to power bluetooth speaker?

fishyfool

I have a Samsung Onyx Studio 4 bluetooth speaker I use sporadically.
I'd use it at work but the battery only lasts 3 to 4 hours depending on volume level.
Would a DeWalt 20v battery adapter power it without killing it?
The 20v batteries are really 20v volts nominal 18v under load.
The adapter for the speaker is 19v and I'll be honest I just grab whatever 18.5/19.5v hp laptop charger is handy to run it.
I found a switched, fused battery to bare wire adapter on the bay of e and purchased it
Can I solder a barrel connector to the leads for my adapter to DeWalt battery and run it the same?

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
Samsung Onyx Studio 4
18.5 to 19.5 would be ideal to power both unit with batteries charged. You may want to current limit it if the batteries are dead or recharge batteries if dead but risks exist of over voltage to one cell will escalate without BMS internal that can handle the CC rate. Heat is the problem to the weakest cell.

I have a 3Ah 4 cell 20v battery, would that be a better option?
That would be fine. A battery charger may well not work to run something as it may not turn on and give out a voltage unless certain conditions are met.

I would get an adaptor like this:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225989916185

and solder wires to that, or cut it open to do so or something. Then the battery won't be affected and you can unplug the battery to charge it.

That would be fine. A battery charger may well not work to run something as it may not turn on and give out a voltage unless certain conditions are met.

I would get an adaptor like this:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225989916185

and solder wires to that, or cut it open to do so or something. Then the battery won't be affected and you can unplug the battery to charge it.
I don't have any of that style battery, just these

Attachments

• IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
I don't have any of that style battery, just these
Nice standard DeWalt batteries, we use them at work on the handful of power tools we have, we settled on DeWalt so as to keep the batteries the same.

However, we had a carpenter come and do some work a few weeks back, and the following week he popped in with a dead DeWalt battery and asked if we could have a look for him. I whipped it apart while he waited, and the metal 'ribbon' had come unsoldered from the battery pack (he must have been giving it serious abuse to get that hot) - so I soldered it back in place for him.

He was seriously impressed :D - but he did a good job for us the week before, so we were happy to help.

My point is you need to buy an adaptor that fits your battery. It will be cheap and you can solder wires onto it to power the speaker when the battery is connected to it. The battery will be unmodified and can be charged on its normal charger.
Did you see my very first post and what's on the battery? A switched, fused battery adapter for DeWalt 20v

My point is you need to buy an adaptor that fits your battery. It will be cheap and you can solder wires onto it to power the speaker when the battery is connected to it. The battery will be unmodified and can be charged on its normal charger.
fishyfool said:
I found a switched, fused battery to bare wire adapter on the bay of e and purchased it
]

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back