Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WOW!! been awhile but $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

the price of a basic pic (18Fxxxx) has really gone up since I purchased a year ago. Looking for 18F4320 TQFN PACKAGE need about 10.
Maybe have to bite the bullet?

need to control an LCD which run at 4.5v aprox.
purchased in July 2018 for $2.60 each 18f43K20 but the LCD is an issue as is the price jump.
Then a series with a Q pops up. Need to research if Swordfish and Pickit2 will play together.

According to Octopart, an 18F43K20 is about two bucks.

An 18F4320 (notice the lack of a "K") is over six bucks.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges.

I looked a the Microchip site but Pommie found a different page than I did.
now to look for the max7660 or the max660

Seriously...move to the newer devices. I always do. Keeps the cost down and code portability is very simple. If you know one PIC within a family, you know the entire family. The learning curve across the PIC lines is virtually non-existent.

Even the transition from 16F to 18F was not difficult. The same coding concepts you use on one family carry over to the other family.

Last edited:
so your suggesting switching from Swordfish to C then use the 16f chips? seems like going backwards?

if I switch programming language from Swordfish to ?
can use the pibckit2? basically same hardware presently using?
contemplating Adrino or ?
maybe start with a starter kit.

If you can't understand the difference between this example code;

Code:
// program start...
SetAllDigital
Cls
WriteAt(1,1,"Hello World")

and the code as you modified it:

Code:
// program start...
While true
SetAllDigital
Cls
WriteAt(1,1,"Hello World")
Wend

you don't stand a chance with C. Stick with what you (sort of) know. The 18F-series of chips, particularly the K versions, are fine for what you're doing, and the price is decent.

so your suggesting switching from Swordfish to C then use the 16f chips? seems like going backwards?
NO!! Please don't... You are sort of okay with swordfish... Your example is fine... either do what burt said or move the cls to before the while...

You can use any chip you like with C. However, as others have pointed out, better sticking with what you know.

Mike.

I made changes as suggested but I need to recheck where the CLS is.
added a delay but nothing changed.
I even tested out the chip to see if it is good. All leds I used worked.
going to research the 18f43K22 if it will run on 5v then I can keep the lcds as is.

going to research the 18f43K22 if it will run on 5v then I can keep the lcds as is.
No need to... I already did... I bought 10 pic18f45k20's found I couldn't use them.. Bought pic18f45k22's... All's good..

going to place an order for some 18F45K22's as well. in the TQFP as well as the dip.

If you get a TQFP chip it really don't matter if it's 16 pin or 64 the chip is still small

Id buy a 10 or 20 of the same chip 18F45K22 and the 18F26K22 40 pin and 28 pin
get 2 dip's to test on breadboard and then use the smaller TQFP chips on PCB

Then you start with a blink that blinks with setting for OSC keep a lock on that code
Then add LCD using same configure and your life be a lot better.

Use a LCD guide like this
be80be_IRreader.png

And have fun

that's exactly what I have been doing. I just bot my order today for the 18f43k20 in dip and TQFP
this was ordered before the heads up on the 18F43k22 which I plan on ordering tomorrow.

And here a pic of a easy way to use a LCD with 3 volts posed on microchips forum
15 years ago I think
LCD%26Power_buddy.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back