Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bought cheap chinese usbasp but it can't communicate with chip

I have a few 328p lieing around in my parts bin. I thought I'll see if they work.
I plugged one of them into a Uno r3 board then attached the new programmer to the icsp part aat the bottom.
After installing the driver for the programmer, I am still unable to communicate with the chip.
I even tried a known working chip that already has a bootloader which I am sure is working because of the flashing led when you apply power.

When I try programming the chip, I get the following error

Code:
avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude: error: program enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

I can be sure the connection is correct because it's connected using a IDC connector. And it's not the wrong way round because it doesn't power up the board when in the other orientation. I tried without the chip plugged in, the power led doesn't come on.

Also the r3 board works because the led flashes when I apply power.

I am running Windows 10 with the lastest nighly build of Arduino IDE.
The programmer is using driver WinUSb 6.1 which I installed via Zadig
So why doesn't it program ?
The programming led does appear to flash when I try programming the chip so am quessing it is communicating with the programmer.

Last edited:
Try libusk driver with zadig, also libusb if that does not work.

Regards, Dana.

If you have any other chip like an ATmega16 or Atmega32, try with that. By the way, have you installed the USBASP driver software properly?

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back