Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC program runs fine on debugger, but not solo in part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob D.

I'm working on a program for the PIC18F27Q10 with MPLAB X IDE v5.50 and the PICkit 4. It's running fine on the debugger, but not solo in the part. I did a production build, and programmed the part with it. I can tell the program is running because it is responding to a button push and lighting an LED when it should. I think the problem is that TMR1 is not counting pulses on RC0, but again it's working in debugger mode.

I wonder if the extra code the debugger adds in, is initializing something I missed in the main code. Or maybe the debugger is giving the chip a good reset, where my hardware isn't?

Any thoughts on this?

Bob D.

Out of desperation, I started playing with the configuration bits and stumbled onto the solution. I set PWRTE from OFF to ON, and the part is now running correctly without the debugger. (#pragma config PWRTE = ON) This enables some kind of reset delay. I must confess that I don't understand what half the configuration bits do. I find the documentation is a bit sketchy on a lot of things.

Bob D.

I was thinking of this thread earlier :D

I was working on my Li-Ion charging routines, using buck/boost hardware - and I choose to unplug my PK4 from the board. Immediately things started to go 'funny', and I wondered what I'd done to the code to 'break it' as it was fine previously. The PK4 is set to power the PIC during programming, and afterwards - as sometimes I work without the buck/boost board been powered.

Anyway, I was fairly busy, so I thought - I'll look at it later, and check that thread on the forum.

One of the things I was 'busy' with was assembling another buck/boost board - so once finished, I hooked it to a different (but identical PIC board) and a different battery, and all worked fine. So I thought I'd try unplugging the PK4 - and all still worked fine.

After a couple of seconds I realised why - the batteries were different - the failing one was a 16.8V 4S1P pack, and the working one just a 4.2V 1S1P pack - in both cases charging current was set to 1.040A. So the 16.8V battery was taking a LOT more current from the supply feeding it, and obviously hitting the current limit it was set to - and the resultant dip was resetting the PIC - leaving the PK4 connected kept the PIC supply from dipping, so no issues.

So a slightly different reason, but a very similar situation to the one in this thread - so PSU is well worth checking in such cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back