Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Weird 4017 behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi Audioguru

Yes that is right, when diodes are used they are usually in pairs and act as gates, this is just another method.

Seems to be a lot of conjecture when it comes to the scanner circuits with 4017's i thought this would at least cure the dilema.

No hard feelings Guru and yes your help seems well recieved around here. keep it up, if i can help with anything let me know.
regards Greg

Hi,

Been a while since I posted something.
I've got the 4017 to work just fine, finally =P. Added 2 bypass capacitors (10 uF and 47 uF) and, well, a 1k resistor from the clock pin of the 555 chip to the capacitor connected to the potentiometer (don't know how to explain it different =P).

So, I got that to work.
Added a 4081 chip for and-gates, also seems to work just fine.
But, when I add my second 4017 chip THAT one starts behaving odd.
Now the clock input from my second 4017 chip comes from the AND-gate from the 4081 chip.

Is this clock output useable or should I also connect this output to the capacitor connected to the potentiometer if you know what I mean?

Ok well I double checked the circuit and now both 4017 chips are working fine. One problem. I want my first chip to do the "upwards" movement (i.e. led 1,then 2, then 3 etc) and the second to switch on the same leds, but in backwards movement (i.e. led 8, led 7 etc.). But, when I connect one of the second 4017's pins to one of the other 4017's pins where a LED is attached, that LED won't light up a single time (I find this strange since the 4017's have internal diodes at the output ports). Ofc. both chips don't switch on LED's at the same time.

The CD4017 does not have internal diodes at its outputs. The outputs go high or go low. Connecting two outputs together shorts them.
To make a Knight Rider bunch of LEDs that light back and forth then make a Knight Rider circuit (look for it in Google) that uses diodes in series with the outputs.

Yea I noticed just after I posted my last message.
Circuit is working just fine =) I've got my own knight rider lights =D.
Besides, my pot. meter works fine, but the lowest speed is still quite fast and when you set the pot. meter to the "middle-speed" the speed is insane, can't even see them flickering anymore.

Do you know how I can fix it so that my pot. meter changes the speed from very slow to quite fast instead of mid-speed to INSANE-speed?

You did not post your latest schematic.
The value of the timing capacitor affects the speed. Increase it to slow down the speed.

I have never seen a circuit that cascades two CD4017 ICs to make Q1 to Q20. But most datasheets show a circuit that has 9 outputs on the first IC and 8 outputs on each next IC.

Attachments

• cascaded 4017s-1.PNG
    cascaded 4017s-1.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 251
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back