Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Weather Vane

Status
Not open for further replies.
ahh thats great, Thank you very much, my knowledge has increased greatly over the last few days.

All I need to do is work on a way (with perhaps my physics teacher) to create a test that would give a range of values that I can then graph, and find out exactly how windspeed is related to the output voltage, and then I can create from that an equation that turns the input voltage into a speed in mph (and display it) and the convert that to display a speed in knots (and display that too)... I will proberbly then have to do the same with a thermistor, and humidity sensor. the wind vane (Which ever one I deicide to use: pot/encoded shaft with phototransistors) will just be x voltage = north etc..

Cheers,

Owen

hi Owen,
The VB5 MCP3204 program, modified for QBasic, runs OK in the PC using Win96SE.

All 4 channels give good results.

The current display using QBasic, of the 4 channels, is in text format as a Voltage.

Let me know the details of the various sensors you are going to use and I will modify the scaling of the four channels.

sence the RATE of change in wind direction

this is an after though about the optical interuptor used for wind direction or wind speed also the photo transistor found in a mouse is actualy two detectors in one , one on top of the other. by comparing the output pulses you can deteterimine the direction its is turning , cw or ccw, rate of change or speed, and its position.
Direction by - which pulse comes first
Rate of turn - how fast the pulses come say pulse /sec
position - count pulses cw or ccw usinf a360 degree spoked wheel. i think this is called an encoder. not sure

just an after thought

this is an after though about the optical interuptor used for wind direction or wind speed also the photo transistor found in a mouse is actualy two detectors in one , one on top of the other. by comparing the output pulses you can deteterimine the direction its is turning , cw or ccw, rate of change or speed, and its position.
Direction by - which pulse comes first
Rate of turn - how fast the pulses come say pulse /sec
position - count pulses cw or ccw usinf a360 degree spoked wheel. i think this is called an encoder. not sure

just an after thought

hi dalee,
This project hasnt been abandoned, 'otm' and I are working together 'offline'
I'm sure he will read your post.

DALEE,

Thank You for your response, however, Like Eric said the project is now being developed by him and myslef along with teachers etc..

Thank You anyway.

Owen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back