Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

waterfall printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is my idea for a DIY solenoid/valve. I'll use the polarity to slide a metal bar back and forth. I'd drill a hole in the slide to make an opening when given a polarity, and a closed valve with the opposite polarity. I believe this can be done with an arduino. My first tests will begin Monday.
Polarity? Solenoids dont work off polarity. You will need a spring.

So this is my idea for a DIY solenoid/valve. I'll use the polarity to slide a metal bar back and forth. I'd drill a hole in the slide to make an opening when given a polarity, and a closed valve with the opposite polarity. I believe this can be done with an arduino. My first tests will begin Monday.

Do you know that unless the plunger in the solenoid is a magnet, you can't reverse the motion by reversing polarity?

Ken

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
unfortunately, that pile of junk is not available her;)

OK use someone elses junk. Try a junk yard and get some fuel injecters. You may be able to modify them to work.

Hi!

i have done this project for my final thesis. here is a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEOaEgPAHhA

I built the valves on my own, cause it was the cheapest way. I collected a lot valves from washing machines, at every scrapyard around knows me now:D
As i found the valves werent acurate i put them appart and i keept the electromagnets.

If you look how a valve is working you see that beside electromagnet you need the piston and some gasket. I have replaced the piston with a metal stick of 10cm. On one side of the stick is elmag, the other side is laying(filling) the hole(nozzle). Vertically.

Between elmag and nozzle there is water, you should build a tank that support elmagnets on top. When elmags are not energized, the stick(with some gasket) is laying(gravity) on the holes and water is traped. Once energized, the elmag lift the stick and the water is free to pour out.

Is working as fast as the elmags can energize so like using real valves. All you have to do is put all this around a nice tank :p

Hi!

I built the valves on my own, cause it was the cheapest way. I collected a lot valves from washing machines, at every scrapyard around knows me now:D
As i found the valves werent acurate i put them appart and i keept the electromagnets.

If you look how a valve is working you see that beside electromagnet you need the piston and some gasket. I have replaced the piston with a metal stick of 10cm. On one side of the stick is elmag, the other side is laying(filling) the hole(nozzle). Vertically.

Between elmag and nozzle there is water, you should build a tank that support elmagnets on top. When elmags are not energized, the stick(with some gasket) is laying(gravity) on the holes and water is traped. Once energized, the elmag lift the stick and the water is free to pour out.

Is working as fast as the elmags can energize so like using real valves. All you have to do is put all this around a nice tank :p

Nice Job. Do you have any pictures showing the valve assemblies?

sure, this is from sketchup. Is really simple and you should update it if you want to sell as a product. Market inspector wont be really happy with such clamzy implementation, but you have an idea now;)
View attachment 64215

I've seen the previous design and I think it can be done quicker, with the absence of a screw-down. I'm only interested in a gated "plunger" and a spring.

Hi!

Very cool!.

sure, this is from sketchup. Is really simple and you should update it if you want to sell as a product. Market inspector wont be really happy with such clamzy implementation, but you have an idea now;)
View attachment 64215

That doesn't look much different than what I had originally suggested many, many moons ago:

**broken link removed**

Glad to see someone got something to work from junk, however they did it! Great job! :D

i have looked at loads and loads of theese vids all the ones that work seem to have height and short valve nozels in common. i realy dont think Khalid was that far off, like was mentioned a few times by others i think the main problem was the plastic tubes and the lack of hieght.
do you still have the valves khalid?

julfi was last seen:
Dec 21, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back