Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed Urgent, Camera slider Car From Stylus C42UX printer Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudziech

hello my name is Kudzi I'm a young vibrant african student studying film n
photography in Botswana., recently was given the task to shoot a moving time-lapse sequence,

Time-lapse photography is a technique whereby the frequency at which film frames are captured (the frame rate) is much lower than that used to view the sequence. When played at normal speed, time appears to be moving faster and thus lapsing.

I then tried to do this with a small table top dolly like the 1 below
41eVWSaKwML._SL500_SS500_.jpg
Here is where the problem comes
manually moving the camera & taking the photos is kind of tedious & my increments as regards to moving the dolly are not consistent., i'v read & even seen videos of motorized dollies made from stepper motors salvaged from old printers & scanners, so i decided to try it out too, Problem is i Have no idea how stepper motors are controlled by the controller boards

However i managed to get an old Usb Epson Stylus C42UX inkjet printer & got some really nice motors as-well as a main board, what i would like to do is to get the motors running from a smaller power supply like say maybe 2 Cellphone batteries & be able to drive the table top dolly in lateral motion

in conclusion
i just want to be able to run the motors without using the mains power i have 3 pdf with the schematic of the board. pliz assist me on how i can achieve this with the materials i have thanx

Attachments

• IMG_5642.JPG
    IMG_5642.JPG
    268.1 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_5670.JPG
    IMG_5670.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_5685.JPG
    IMG_5685.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_5690.JPG
    IMG_5690.JPG
    212.3 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_5707.JPG
    IMG_5707.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_5720.JPG
    IMG_5720.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 243
Don't know how much of the electronics you'll be able to re-purpose, but the motors look like 3-phase steppers. Google for suitable 3-phase stepper drivers.

Sorry to argue alec_t but they are definitely two-phase steppers, in the 5th photo you can see two motor coils, that is a typical two-phase 4-wire "bipolar" stepper motor.

To Kudziech; you can buy a cheap bipolar stepper motor driver PCB on ebay for a few dollars, and even get a driver board that produces a step pulse to turn the motor at a constant speed. I doub't that you really need super precise speed control like a clock or telescope driver so a cheap ebay solution would be an easy way to get it running.

thank you both for the quick response., I was hoping this could be achieved without having to buy any other boards.., i have never used ebay because im still waiting to get my credit card so i was hoping to re-purpose all chips tht come out of the printer & to my surprise there was only 1 PCB pliz lead me in the right direction as to how 1 cud re-use this PCB thnx for all ur help..

@MrRB
Sorry to argue alec_t but they are definitely two-phase steppers
Happy to be corrected. I assumed 4 wires meant 3 coils plus one common.

@kudziech
To check possibilites for re-purposing the electronics I suggest you try to get datasheets for the ICs by googling their type numbers/product codes. It's possible you could bypass/replace/modify/energise any of the printer's position sensors and fool the existing drive electronics into giving you the motion you want.

Looks like all three motors are drivin by one chip.
Look up the chip marked IC6

thank u all for your help i did a little more hunting and found these

9YRfbC6.jpg
HtEJ2Iv.jpg
RB9LkLe.jpg

i hope these can help with th wiring procedure or shed better light., so to speak

Unfortunately the images you posted are unreadable. Jpg format should be avoided if possible for schematics; gif, png or pdf is preferable.

The driver chip is an allegro A6615SED "dual bipolar step motor controller". It controls two motors.

A google for "A6615SED" gave a ton of info.

Here a basic connection diagram thet Mr Google found;

**broken link removed**

From a few seconds of googling it looks like the control signals to the IC are in a serial protocol, so to drive that IC you need a microcontroller, which you need to program to send the serial data out to the stepper driver IC.

Below the Reply box click 'Go advanced', then scroll down and click 'Manage attachments'.

here is a PDF of the schematic wish i knew wat all this meant n how i can manipulate this to work for my idea.., thanx Alec for the tip

Attachments

• Schematic.pdf
    514.1 KB · Views: 403
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back