Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Water Pumping Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electroenthusiast

Well, this is a post from me after years! I'm totally disconnected to the electronics nowadays, though it was my one time passion.
Career has been in a different coarse, and now i was just thinking of something while i was sitting at the hall room.

The image below shows a case. The outlet pipe of the tank is somewhere in the middle of it's total capacity (There is a reason for it). And, that can't be changed. Now, the issue being faced is that whatever the water that gets filled (through a pump) over the outlet pipe will revert back through the pipe back. I mean, the water gets back till the whatever that is above the outlet pipe level.

I'm thinking to solve this issue, and i don't want to use a ball valve. What solution can be accomplished? Are there any transducers a valve that can control the flow of water based on direction of water flow?

Attachments

• water-sump.jpg
    water-sump.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 192
A solenoid valve in the pipe that that is held open when the power supply to the pump is on.Another solution is for the feed pipe to the upper tank to enter the tank above the maximum water level. Telling us EXACTLY what you are trying to achieve would help us to answer your question.

Les.

Thats my question here. I have a valve to the tank which i need to close everytime so that water doesn't flow back.

My question is i need a system that detects the water flow (in opposite direction) into the pipe and operate a valve automatically.

The one way valve which is also called a check valve will do what you want. When you said that you did not want to use a ball valve I thought that you meant the same thing as a check valve which is why I suggested a solenoid valve which was fed from the same supply as the pump. As you have not given any idea of the size of the tanks I can not suggest a particular check valve. In the UK a check valve is required to feed outside taps so versions to fit 15mm and 20 mm diameter pipes are available from plumbers merchants.
If you want to use some kind of sensor to detect the flow then a differential pressure transducer connected to either side of a restriction in the pipe would be one method.

Les.

Well, i checked on check valve or the one way valve. Seems that it would work.
Only thing is I need to research whether it decreases the water pumping capacity (because of it's design).

Thanks for the replies. I have liked your posts since i found them useful.

All check valves will produce some restriction on the flow as they require some pressure to open them. (With no pressure difference between the inlet and outlet they are closed. ) You would get more help if you provided more information particularly on the scale of the project. For example is the pipework the size use by micro irrigation systems (About 4mm diameter.) or is it say 150mm diameter pipes ? If the pipework is large diameter motorised valves would be better than my suggestion of solenoid valves as they produce very little restriction to the flow.

Les.

Also look at a "Foot valve" - that is a specific style of check valve designed to be used on a pump pickup pipe, to prevent backflow while causing minimal restriction.

eg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back