Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using PA Amplifier to run woofer !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen very cheap PA amplifiers that have poor low frequency response because they are designed for voice amplification.
Many cheap PA amps cannot drive a speaker with an impedance as low as 4 ohms.

I have seen very cheap PA amplifiers that have poor low frequency response because they are designed for voice amplification.
Many cheap PA amps cannot drive a speaker with an impedance as low as 4 ohms.

Here it is the specification of PA amplifier :

Power Output 75W Max., 50W RMS at 10% THD, 45W RMS at 5% THD
Input Channels 3×Mic. 0.6mV/4.7k, 1×Aux 100mV/330k
Frequency Response 50-15,000Hz ±3dB
Signal to Noise Ratio 55dB
Tone Controls Bass: ±10dB at 100Hz Treble: ±10dB at 10kHz
Outputs Line: 400mV/3.5k
Speaker Outputs 4, 8, 16 & 100V
Power Supply AC: 220-240V 50/60Hz, DC: 12-14V Car Battery

Your amplifier is very cheap. It has very high distortion, a high noise level, cuts 50Hz to half power and cuts lower bass frequencies much more.
It also cuts high audio frequencies.

Your amplifier is very cheap. It has very high distortion, a high noise level, cuts 50Hz to half power and cuts lower bass frequencies much more.
It also cuts high audio frequencies.

What is your specification for a PA amplifier ? Can you tell me !

I used to work for a PRO Sound manufacturer. Some PA amplifiers were cheap like yours but other expensive ones had excellent spec's.

I can't find the spec sheet but the best PA amplifier is stereo 400W per channel into 8 ohms, 700W per channel into 4 ohms or bridged 1400W into 8 ohms.
Distortion is 0.05% at full power from 20Hz to 20khz, noise is -90dB and frequency response is +-3dB 7Hz to 100kHz.
When driving good speakers the sound is extremely clear.

Here it is the specification of PA amplifier :

Power Output 75W Max., 50W RMS at 10% THD, 45W RMS at 5% THD
Input Channels 3×Mic. 0.6mV/4.7k, 1×Aux 100mV/330k
Frequency Response 50-15,000Hz ±3dB
Signal to Noise Ratio 55dB
Tone Controls Bass: ±10dB at 100Hz Treble: ±10dB at 10kHz
Outputs Line: 400mV/3.5k
Speaker Outputs 4, 8, 16 & 100V
Power Supply AC: 220-240V 50/60Hz, DC: 12-14V Car Battery

That amp will be perfectly fine with the speaker you mentioned, but it's a Public Address amplifier, only intended for voice announcements and background music, not for HiFi or as a musical PA system.

What are you trying to do with the amp/speaker?.

That amp will be perfectly fine with the speaker you mentioned, but it's a Public Address amplifier, only intended for voice announcements and background music, not for HiFi or as a musical PA system.

What are you trying to do with the amp/speaker?.

I want to use the amp/speaker combination for recording in my PC as well as play music. Can you tell me the specification of a Musical PA System ?

I want to use the amp/speaker combination for recording in my PC as well as play music. Can you tell me the specification of a Musical PA System ?

Musical PA systems are those used by bands - they will be similar quality to HiFi systems, but much higher power.

I don't see why you want an amp/speaker for recording?, but as long as you're happy with only mono sound the existing amp is probably all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back