Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using 2 ATX power supplies to get 24v

feetsdr

Trying to get 24v from 2 ATX power supplies - call them A & B

I bound the yellows of A together, the blacks of A together, the yellows of B together, the blacks of B together.

I get 12v across the black & yellow of A & B separately,. but ALSO from yellow of A to black of B & vice versa. The cases aren't touching. They ARE plugged into a common 3 prong wall outlet

Because they have a common ground, right?

So I opened 1 of them. there was a wire from ground connector to case. Cut that off. There were caps from ground to hot and another from ground to neutral. Cut them out.

Still have 12 v between the 2 power supplies.

Any advice?

Attempting to combine power supplies in this manner can be potentially dangerous and may result in damage to the power supplies or connected devices. It is generally not recommended to connect multiple power supplies together in this manner, especially if they are not specifically designed for parallel operation. ATX power supplies are not typically designed to be connected in parallel. Each power supply has its own internal circuitry and protections, and connecting them together can cause unintended consequences, such as voltage imbalances, current sharing issues, or even damage to the power supplies themselves. If you require a higher voltage output or more power, it is advisable to use a power supply specifically designed for that purpose, or consider using a single power supply with the desired voltage and power rating. If you have specific power requirements, it would be best to consult with an electrical engineer or an expert in power supply systems who can provide guidance tailored to your needs and ensure proper and safe operation.
They are in series.

Latest threads

Back