Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Flashdrive Capcity??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonyx

Hi all,

I just got one of those 8gb thumb-drives but seems like it won't take more than 2gb's. How can I find out the capacity of the drive? Got it off of Ebay and it said it was 8gb's and not I'm not sure it is.

Most DVD movies are about 4.3gb in size (just the main movie) and that's what I wanted to load onto the thumb drive and watch it at work. Ther are othe files on ther but only add up to 785mb's.

TIA

Could it be ebay fraud? Also, DVD movies include a lot of hidden files/data. You need a DVD remastering/ripping program. I am sure there are some free ones on the net. I have one, but i don't know the name off hand (it works REALLY well) I will post the name if you are interested.

The biggest flash drives i have seen are 4 gigs, maybe 6, but never 8.

They probably advertised it as an 8gb flash stick. The devil is in the notation. An 8gb flash drive is only 1gB's The lower case b indicates bits, the upper case B would indicate bytes. You probably bought a 1 gigbyte drive. You can right click on the drive in the "My Computer" folder to bring up the used and available capacity. Either that or they just outright lied. There are 8 gigabyte drives out there, but they cost more than 600 US.

My 486 pc came with a 540MB hard drive and only 4MB of RAM.
It died two years ago running WIN98 on cable high speed internet with a 2.1GB hard drive and 52MB of RAM.

Many of these fake drives have modified software so they report the larger memory capacity.

You could try a checker such as the one you can download from **broken link removed**

audioguru
It died two years ago running WIN98 on cable high speed internet with a 2.1GB hard drive and 52MB of RAM.

Can u send me the heat sinks for free???

Just joking...

Last edited:
Could be that it won't format under FAT to more than 2GB. Try FAT32, and failing that NTFS. Failing that, boot Ubuntu Linux, or any of the bootable CD linices, and use the tools they provide (like fdisk) to examine the device.

LOL i cant belive some of what im reading!

you can get up to 64gb flash drives, they are very expensive :p, look here **broken link removed**

i personally own a 8gb one myself which i bought from www.scan.co.uk for only £35, which is about $70 USD i think.

look at the attachtment,

also dvds are almost always 4-4.7 gb and rarely 9gb becaue of compatibility issues with old dvd players, even LOTR extended had to go on 4 dvds of 4.7gb instead of 2 of 9gb

Attachments

• Flash Drive.JPG
    Flash Drive.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
dknguyen said:
I've never heard of an 8 gig drive. The max I've seen is 2 gigs.

Hi,

Oflate, 10Gb drives have come with a facility to plug-in sd memory into it. the drive itself appears only an interface.

one of my relatives got it onhis visit to Japanway back 2 years

Ayne said:
Can u send me the heat sinks for free???
I upgraded my 486SX66 (66MHz) processor to a 486DX100 (100MHz with more cache) which was a surface mount processor on a small daughter pcb with a 3.3V regulator. The pcb had the same pins layout as an older 486 processor. It didn't have a heatsink.

audioguru, im running a 4200 athlon with 1gb of ram with 200 gb of memory with a high speed cable which i think is like 800 mb a sec or somthin, cost lotz

200gb of hard disk space, i presume? Also, your "high speed cable" may be SATA? I have it too, it only costed me $35 (U.S.C)

<Choke> You paid 35 dollars for a SATA cable? My mother board came with two free and I only paied a little more than 120 bucks for that, you can buy them at online stores for less than 5 dollars.

No, the drive cost me 35 dollars! :D The sata cable came with my mobo as well. ;)

audioguru said:
I recently opened an old PC with a 286 processor @ 33mHz, 800mB HD, 32M Ram w/ one empty slot, and a power supply rated at a whopping 150w!! The processor didn't even have a fan on it! Only one fan and that was a small one in the pwr. sup. The BIOS chip wasn't much larger than a 555 chip. The unit now resides at the local landfill.

33MHz sounds quite fast for a 286 and I don't believe they could manage any more than 16MB of RAM and most BIOSes couldn't handle 500MB let alone 800MB, are you sure it wasn't a 386 or even a 486?

Most pre-Pentium PCs don't even have CPU fans or heatsinks. I can't remember but I don't even think the first Pentiums even had CPU fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back