Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help reduce noise on USB oscilloscope.

The noise is not present when you run scope on battery ?

Got a scope pic of noise, and FFT pic of the noise spectrum ?

Regards, Dana.

Under what conditions do you see this noise?

Under what conditions do you see this noise?
Without the probes plugged in there's no problem, but with the probes there's noise(pic one) and shorted with a 15nF cap (pic two) there is still noise. It's a Hantek 6022BE USB scope.
20240207_150226.png
20240207_190045.png

Last edited:
So now instead of USB isolation I need to filter out that 60KHz sine wave between the charger and the laptop. It's too bad these laptop chargers don't come apart easy, I'd take a look and improve.

All leads and grounds as short as possible.

Use polymer for bulk cap, and ceramic disk :

1707393500580.png

Regards, Dana.

Without the probes plugged in there's no problem, but with the probes there's noise(pic one) and shorted with a 15nF cap (pic two) there is still noise. It's a Hantek 6022BE USB scope
Unterminated probes tend to pick up noise from the either.
Do you see the noise when measuring circuit voltages?

Filtering may not help, since you are seeing radiated noise.

Unterminated probes tend to pick up noise from the either.
Do you see the noise when measuring circuit voltages?

Filtering may not help, since you are seeing radiated noise.
Problem was solved when I unplugged the laptop from the charger.
I did have an idea to put a 420uF cap between charger and laptop.
from this site: https://makingcircuits.com/blog/calculate-filter-capacitor-smoothing-ripple/

I get:
C = I / (2 x f x Vpp)
where I = load current
f = input frequency of AC

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back