Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Flashdrive Capcity??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like a 386 to me...

286's were 6Mhz or 8Mhz at the start. Later revisions went up to 20-25Mhz

I think you'd need to format that with NTFS, FAT is going to limit you to 2GB. If you must use FAT, see below.

Most DVD movies these days take more than 4.7GB - the studios like dual layer since dual layer blanks are more expensive and harder to write correctly. Just a speed bump, though.

You might find that the main movie VOB is less than 4.7G but I think maybe 1 out of 4 are like that.

Your best best is to rip to an IFO and control the VOB size to be less than 2GB. DVD Decryptor and DVD FAB can do that just fine. You might see pauses at VOB changes, though. If you switch VOBs at chapter breaks, it wont matter.

By the way, a number of studios are thowing unreadable garbage on the DVDs to cause read errors which make the rippers cough up a hairball. Sony is the worst. But there are plenty of ways to defeat that. :D

Hero999 said:
33MHz sounds quite fast for a 286 and I don't believe they could manage any more than 16MB of RAM and most BIOSes couldn't handle 500MB let alone 800MB, are you sure it wasn't a 386 or even a 486?

Most pre-Pentium PCs don't even have CPU fans or heatsinks. I can't remember but I don't even think the first Pentiums even had CPU fans.
I got to rethinking that myself and went and looked at the mobo, I happened to set aside. It's a 386! I gotta start wearing glasses to see upclose things more clearly. :eek:

yeh i think FAT32 can only handle files less than 4gb
ntfs is the way to go.

It's trivial to split a DVD up into more than one file at chapter breaks for instance. There's no reason to keep it in a single file, not matter what you do there's going to be a logical break between layers anyways.

If your using a USB memory the apparent format is irrelevant - the 2Gb FAT limit does not apply.
I use both a 4Gb USB Flash and an external 320Gb seagate drive with a Win98 PC. They both show the correct capacities in windows explorer and I have tested and proven the USB Flash by loading and retreiving 2 full sized outlook pst files (2GB each). The file system in properties shows as FAT for Flash drive and FAT32 for the Seagate.

I did have to instal a nusb22e.exe* driver to get Win98 to work with the USB flash drive in win98

*The nusb22e.exe is an independant driver not endorsed by MS. It does seem to support a number of USB devices

Last edited:
I have an 8Gb SD card and it HAS 8Gb capacity.
here's how you check:
Open 'my computer' and right click the flashdrive (drive E in my case)
click on 'properties' and you see a pie chart with the capacity, how much of it is used and how much is free.
Presently I have 7Gb stored on it. I believe one cannot store exactly 8Gb on it as the filing system also takes up room. I use it for large map files and could not load another 600Mb file on it.
The SD card came from e-bay, sent from USA to Australia. It came with a 'free' USB SD card reader which also works well. Both make an 8Gb thumb USB flash drive.
Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back