Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultracapacitors have come a long way, and still going..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh it gets better...

This EV did a burnout running entirely on Maxwell Ultracaps. No battery was connected in the loop.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

He didn't try to take it on a 1/4mi run, not yet at least. I think that with the power lasting only a few moments the 1/4 mi time would be less than starring.

And ESMA ultracapacitors have something else. Try an 80 KF- that's 80 Kilo Farards- cell:
http://www.esma-cap.com/Products/Capacitor_cells/EC353/?lang=English
Those are asymmetric caps- they've got much higher capacitance but are tricky. They can actually lose electrolyte like a deep cycle lead acid battery and need periodic topping off in certain duties.

ESMA is mentioning 50-60 J/kg. Note this is not much less than primary storage in lead acid batteries. Yet they can be charged in a tiny fraction of the time and with far greater charge efficiency. The problem of course is that only a small portion of the capacitor's energy would exist between 14v and 10.5v for use by 12v accessories for example. A DC/DC boost converter would be needed to deliver the power at a useful voltage. And/or a larger starting cap bank voltage with a dc/dc buck converter so it can be charged over 14v and still provide a 12.6v output.

Just found this , four companies are getting together to produce ultracaps..
**broken link removed**

Just intsal it and then install the program that you like so it will take back the files.I like real player.I play most of the stuff in it.

.MOV is the format apple invented and its played in there player.

I didnt have the filetipe overtaking problem becose i use an firefox plugin.It downloded it wen i was trying to play an MOV file.And it only works in my web brovser.

You using IE huh?

They say this format has good compresion.I dont know if thats true.

You beter get it becose i found quite some movies on that net in mov format.

These devices are amazing..
the first thing i did was charge it up to 2.5V,and discharge it into a one ohm resistor , it took over 6 min to dishharge ! and the resistor actually got hot..!!

Anyway, :roll:
next i charged it up to 2.5 V again and then connected it to two 1.2v NiMH cells . and it discharged initially , 1450 mA into the two cells WoW..
These caps make an excellent buffer between a source (generater) and load (rechargeable batteries)..

williB said:
These caps make an excellent buffer between a source (generater) and load (rechargeable batteries)..
What's the capacitor for? A rechargable battery doesn't need a capacitor and operates like a huge capacitor.

The ultra cap i got acts like a sponge absorbing the excess power the battery can not take in , and storeing it till i stop cranking the generater..
then it passes the excess it has acumulated to the battery..

williB said:
The ultra cap i got acts like a sponge absorbing the excess power the battery can not take in , and storeing it till i stop cranking the generater..
then it passes the excess it has acumulated to the battery..
A Ni-MH cell can "take in" just about anything you can feed it. Its internal resistance is extremely low.

Most NiMH can take several amps though, so they generally won't benefit much from a cap on them.

Well , i think it is a really cool device ,when i charged it up to 2.5V and discharged it into the batteries the amount of current it put out was amazing .. over 1400 mA initially..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back