Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

= TIMER =

Status
Not open for further replies.

I R Haynes

I am having trouble designing a circuit using a 555 timer and a 4017 chip and making lights go on sequentially. I would like to have a variable resistor also, so then the time between the light changes can vary.

Please help.

bloody heck how am I spposed to read that, don't you guys have crocodile clips or anything

help

if you would email me at DARowland711@hotmail.com, i may be able to help you with a detailed process... We made this circuit a few weeks into school in my electronics class.... It takes alot of testing, readjusting and when its all done, its a fun thing to show people :)

DARowland711

i think i have a solution

i designed this circuit, i hope it is what you mean 8)

Attachments

• ReplyAstable_4017.jpg
    ReplyAstable_4017.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,620
I made a few changes. The "???" means that I don't know why these are here. They do nothing.
The CD4017 wll not drive LEDs very well. I added 2N3904 emitter followers. You can try it without them, but you may not get much light from the LEDs. With the transistors added, you could change the 330 ohm resistor to 180 ohms for added intensity.
I changed your variable resistor to 100k, and added a 1k resistor in series. You should get a better frequency range with these changes. You might want to change the timing capacitor from 100uF to 10uF.

Attachments

• ReplyAstable_4017.gif
    ReplyAstable_4017.gif
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,633
software

furrycow,
i just want to ask what software did you use to draw the schematic?...

thanks!...

thanks!

but too bad i still have to purchase a copy....
there's a demo for download but i'm not sure if there will be more restrictions and the time limit.....
maybe you have a copy of the installer of this software, maybe you could lend it to me.....hehehehehehe :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back