Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timer on delay circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared88

Hi All, I am trying to make a a simple circuit that once a switch is on there is a around a 10 second delay before a set of leds turn on. I can do is as an on for 10 seconds then off, but not the other way. So confusing for me. any help I will be grateful.

Jared.

Please post the circuit that you have that is giving you 10 seconds on.

It's probable that you can just invert it's output to give you what you want.

What are the voltage and current for the set of LEDs? This is critical in determining how much power the switch circuit needs to handle.

This probably can be done with a simple R-C network plus a transistor. A drawback of the simplicity is that the LEDs will not "snap" on, but will ramp up in brightness over 1 second after the delay.

For a snappier look, a second transistor can be added. Or change from discrete transistors to a 555 acting as a power switch. Again, one resistor and one capacitor to set the delay period.

ak

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. This was just for a bit of fun, nothing specific. I lost all my electronic equipment over 20 years ago when I moved. All I remember is I could not do this. So any basic circuits please. If I am wasting your time, then I will understand. Jared.

Does this describe the operation :

LEDS off >> Switch activated >> wait 10 sec >> Turn on LEDs >> Leave LEDs on

LEDs already on >> Switch activated >> wait 10 sec >> Leave LEDs on

Is switch a push button or a toggle switch ?

The LED are powered by what ? Low voltage DC or AC line voltage or ?
If low voltage DC what are power requirements, V and current ?

What accuracy do you need on the time delay ?

Regards, Dana.

Hi All, I am trying to make a a simple circuit that once a switch is on there is a around a 10 second delay before a set of leds turn on. I can do is as an on for 10 seconds then off, but not the other way. So confusing for me. any help I will be grateful.

Jared.
Well if I read you right you want a delay on make meaning you trigger the circuit On and there is a 10 second delay before your LEDs turn on. I commonly call this a delay on make. If I trigger a circuit and my LEDs immediately turn on and remain on for 10 seconds and then turn off I see it as a delay on break circuit.

You can buy timer modules which do all of the above or simple units which preform only one specific function. Here is an example of a multifunction. Plenty of dingle function off the boat very inexpensive.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back