Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Role of the Traces

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that there may be a relationship between thick traces and bass effect. But I am not sure for that as sometimes my sixth sense tell.

Well, there may be a connection. Transient bass notes from a hi fi delivered to a speaker cause current to flow for longer periods than transient midrange or treble notes so one could argue that more power is needed for bass. More power and larger copper traces go hand in hand.

Last edited:
Well, there may be a connection. Transient bass notes from a hi fi delivered to a speaker cause current to flow for longer periods than transient midrange or treble notes so one could argue that more power is needed for bass. More power and larger copper traces go hand in hand.

I think you are right !

Gabe, you're missing the third dimension =) The circular area on that mono-filament is probably close to being the same as a half inch wide copper trace in effective circular area, with higher surface area for high frequency signals.

As far as audio bass goes... You don't use traces.... You use the thickest wire that you can practically use in your application. If you want punch you need massive capacitor banks for short term power. You can't sideline the details, the 'bass effect' isn't an effect, it's a consequence of systems designed for it, a bass spike that's audible that can be felt in the chest contains a MASSIVE amount of power compared to even a quiet mid range note.

I dunno 4pyros, i've seen some mighty large bass on small traces, in fact monofilament is near invisible.

Aw..... Invisible leads!!!! Thay are the best, no inductance there!! Andy

Last edited:
I wouldn't be so sure. There are some products that do wireless power transmission. One commercial product is a charging mat. There have been articles showing wireless power transmission devices in rooms. Guess what? Mutual inductance comes into play.

I wouldn't be so sure. There are some products that do wireless power transmission. One commercial product is a charging mat. There have been articles showing wireless power transmission devices in rooms. Guess what? Mutual inductance comes into play.

But are thay monofilament! LOL

Gabe, you're missing the third dimension =) The circular area on that mono-filament is probably close to being the same as a half inch wide copper trace in effective circular area, with higher surface area for high frequency signals.

That's quite true, a quick way to prove that is with this very simple equation.

calc.png

Where Fz = the amount of bass the monofilament can safely support.

Where Fz = the amount of bass the monofilament can safely support.

Thare is an old saying "If You Can't Dazzle Them With Your Brilliance, Then Baffle Them With...."

Happy Holidays Andy

Spiral traces are often used for on-board-printed inductors and antenna.

Look at this Paralax brand RFID. The trace is a spiral.
**broken link removed**

If the traces are spiral shaped what will be happened in circuitry

Some times used to make traces the same lenght as in mother boards or used to make inductors for RF circuits like antenna matching.

Is this for your speakers?

Andy

Last edited:
Woah dude... Shouldn't have taken that sixth sugar cube!

dooot de doot dee doo.

Wow! Do I always look like that? WOAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back