Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Role of the Traces

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning

Can you tell me the role of the traces in a circuitry ?

Just share your experiences !

Thank you !

Last edited:
as blueroomelectronics said traces are the copper tracks on a circuit board that connect all the components together. However traces are not wires.

3lectrokid I think you need to study your english a little before making comments such as that.
Wire | Define Wire at Dictionary.com

The copper trace on a PCB fully matches multiple definitions for the word wire. It's not intuitively thought of that way but calling the traces wires is perfectly accurate.

Traces can be used for other things other than connecting components together, such as the component itself in the case of a PCB antenna, or as a transmission line in the case of high speed circuits, even impedance matching components in antenna systems for high enough frequencies. They can also have the function of inductors, capacitors, and resistors in a circuit especially if the exact value isn't important but the ratiometric value is, such as with shunts.

Last edited:
as blueroomelectronics said traces are the copper tracks on a circuit board that connect all the components together. However traces are not wires.
Then why is one of the common descriptions of a circuit board PWB (which stands for Printed Wiring Board)?

Signal traces are small, power traces are bigger. Depends on the current needed.

I think that there may be a relationship between thick traces and bass effect. But I am not sure for that as sometimes my sixth sense tell.

Huh? What are they teaching you in school? Do you see dead people?**broken link removed**
Now that's a big Bass

Last edited:
I think that there may be a relationship between thick traces and bass effect. But I am not sure for that as sometimes my sixth sense tell.
I wouldn't depend too much upon that "sixth sense". It appears to need recalibration.

Well, afterall, the leads of a capacitor are inductive and will have an effect at extremely high frequencies.
Any piece of wire or circuit board trace has some inductance.

One of the reasons high frequency circuit boards use a ground plane for the common connections is that a solid plane of copper has lower inductance (as well as lower resistance) than a trace.

Why are you guys still going on about lead inductance? The OP is looking for the secrets of "the bass effect" and I dont think its in the traces. Andy

I dunno 4pyros, i've seen some mighty large bass on small traces, in fact monofilament is near invisible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back